+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Two cracking signings.....

Two cracking signings.....

..... that we probably wouldn't have got with last season's manager.

Was thinking exactly the same last night.

I don't think Frank is done yet either.

Interesting to see how the Vydra situation plays out.

Ideally we could do with offloading Martin for 2-3m and two or three other peripheral players to try and raise 5m. Might we just be able to keep him?

I've a feeling that another player could be sacrificed to assist with the balancing of the books - Carson maybe?

One thing for sure I'm more optimistic about our season than I was 24hrs ago.

Up top, Lampard has a lot of work to do now. The 2 newbies wont have been sent here to fester on the bench. Bennett and Thomas excelled at Notts last Saturday. Lawrence had a good un. Vydra still has to get fit. Martin too. Then we also have Jerome, Nugent and Blackman.

TEN forwards. Two of whom don't seem to fit the mobile formation it would appear Lampard wants to play so that should see Martin and Blackman gone. There is a tendency at some top clubs not to have a 6 foot odd centre forward but keep the ball on the ground for nippy, proper footballers. That could see Jerome and Nugent go too.

That wouldn't cause a problem either as we also have smaller nippy types in the U23 like Vernam and Zanzala who are capable of stepping up to the plate if needed.

Are we going to be playing with the ball mainly on the deck?

We still need a bit of height though, especially when defending set pieces and corners.

Can't help but think Frankie will pick a side based on opposition and squad rotation will play a big part.

That has long been the way at Chelsea. Himself, Cech, JT and possibly Drogba were the only shoe ins when he played.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Up top, Lampard has a lot of work to do now. The 2 newbies wont have been sent here to fester on the bench. Bennett and Thomas excelled at Notts last Saturday. Lawrence had a good un. Vydra still has to get fit. Martin too. Then we also have Jerome, Nugent and Blackman.

TEN forwards. Two of whom don't seem to fit the mobile formation it would appear Lampard wants to play so that should see Martin and Blackman gone. There is a tendency at some top clubs not to have a 6 foot odd centre forward but keep the ball on the ground for nippy, proper footballers. That could see Jerome and Nugent go too.

That wouldn't cause a problem either as we also have smaller nippy types in the U23 like Vernam and Zanzala who are capable of stepping up to the plate if needed.

Are we going to be playing with the ball mainly on the deck?
    Not sure I agree with all that MA...Blackman is nothing if not quick, think ‘mobility’ is one thing he doesn’t have a problem with...Nugent isn’t really a ‘big man’...and I reckon Jerome is a decent enough ‘footballer’ with the added physical presence to act as a bit of a ‘minder’ for the less robust youngsters, including Lawrence.
    Hopefully the two new signings can have a big impact but I reckon Lawrence, Jerome, Vydra (or a proven quality replacement) and Thomas can all play a big part. Another option might be Lawrence taking on the Vydra role perhaps...think he’s done that for Wales quite successfully before and then the Vydra money could be spent elsewhere...if it hasn’t already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure I agree with all that MA...Blackman is nothing if not quick, think ‘mobility’ is one thing he doesn’t have a problem with...Nugent isn’t really a ‘big man’...and I reckon Jerome is a decent enough ‘footballer’ with the added physical presence to act as a bit of a ‘minder’ for the less robust youngsters, including Lawrence.
    Hopefully the two new signings can have a big impact but I reckon Lawrence, Jerome, Vydra (or a proven quality replacement) and Thomas can all play a big part. Another option might be Lawrence taking on the Vydra role perhaps...think he’s done that for Wales quite successfully before and then the Vydra money could be spent elsewhere...if it hasn’t already gone.
    Quick yes but not as manouvrable as a Thomas/Wilson/Mount/Bennett I suppose is more the point. Barca and Citeh amongst others have had success without a "traditional" centre forward. Might it be the same for us?

Another possibility that has crossed my mind due to things Frank has said is that we will see a lot of horses for courses selections as well as a generous helping of squad rotation. In which case we don't have too many forwards or too many anything else for that matter.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)