+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Wharton signs a new deal

Scott Wharton signs a new deal

A new deal for one of our bright stars of the future.

We seem to be the only ones aknowledging the ongoing hard work done behind the scenes to sort out so many contracts over the summer. And all of that, eats into this season's budget. Which was only ever going to be around £5-6m. This is another good bit of business. I do like the lad, I think he needs another loan.

I've heard that we have loan offers for
    Nuttall
    Travis
    Tomlinson
    Wharton
    Rankin-Costello which are extremely close to agreeing in the next few days.
    Which indicates that we wil start to move for the players we want coming in.
    Which he's pretty much said will mainly be loan signing, not all, but most. And what's been holding it up is all the young lads we are after are with their parent clubs pre-season tours etc.
    We are closer to Armstrong by all accounts.

Jack Payne has gone to Bradford City on loan today.

For me Armstrong is key
    Of course Chapman and Gallagher would be nice but I would prioritise Armstrong
    He is much loved by the squad and adds a lot to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    For me Armstrong is key
    Of course Chapman and Gallagher would be nice but I would prioritise Armstrong
    He is much loved by the squad and adds a lot to the team.
    Same for me. Actually, I do like Gallagher, but my only slight is, he is very similar to Graham, and to a degree Samuel. So we have that. Armstrong has pace, that's something I feel we lack, and badly need. So from that aspect, Armstrong. But like you say, happy with either really. I think Dack could form a really good partnership with Gallagher and play a little further forward. I think that's where our goals will come from this season. Overall, pace. We need that, and I feel Armstrong will develop here at Rovers.

I'm hearing that we want Chapman on loan. It's Boro that are pushing hard for a fee. Just with his injury record, we want another season to see how that goes. That's basically been the hold up with Dacks contract. 2 hamstring injuries in a short space of time is a big concern. It's only one less than Chapman, and he's being off-loaded.

I would still like to take the risk with Chapman. At a lower level, he can give us what Mbappe gave to France.
    Excellent news about Wharton, but I'm a bit disappointed if it's true that Travis is going out on loan. I know we're very well stocked in central midfield now, but he can also cover for Nyambe.
    If he does go out, I hope it's to a decent D.1 team, because he has already shown he can compete at that level.
    I suspect Blackpool might be involved in at least one of these loan-deals, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I would still like to take the risk with Chapman. At a lower level, he can give us what Mbappe gave to France.
    Excellent news about Wharton, but I'm a bit disappointed if it's true that Travis is going out on loan. I know we're very well stocked in central midfield now, but he can also cover for Nyambe.
    If he does go out, I hope it's to a decent D.1 team, because he has already shown he can compete at that level.
    I suspect Blackpool might be involved in at least one of these loan-deals, for obvious reasons.

By all accounts Auks, they are all Div1 clubs. And what I can say, which may reassure you, is Damien Johnson is really digging his heels in and wants to do as well in the Under 23 league as we possibly can. Certain loans where blocked last season, so we won promotion out of that B league. We are very serious about that, and he wants to keep the core of those young lads together. If they go out, it's because it's good development physically, and sometimes mentally. A bit of toughening up. And we are bringing in, lads who are of a higher quality, and ready to play. Young Davenport already, is making everyone sit up and take notice. Younger than some of these lads of ours, but way ahead in terms of development. We are investing a lot of money on re-structuring the training facilities. Millions. But I'm also surprised to hear Tomlinson is going out? I think it could be down to Davenport.

Ahhh im having a moment remembering a lads name?!! Anyway, tomorrow a young lad is playing for Liverpool against us. And we are bringing him in on Fri. He played at Bristol City last season, but they didn't play him at all. He's highly rated, but it seems only by Liverpool. I'm unsure on this one. I think it's Retford? Hmmmm anyway, he's playing tomorrow apparently.
    Last edited by champs95; 18-07-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Also, Mowbray knows exactly who he wants. On how much, and it was always taking into consideration the huge efforts made, to secure so many key players on long contracts. So loan deals, from Prem clubs, was always going to be our market. As it is for loads of Champ clubs. Mixed in with hardened Champ players.
    He had a list, it hasnt changed as hasnt the budget. But things take time. The WC has clearly delayed things for everyone. And things change.
    The goalkeeper we have been tracking Bristol city's keeper, who used to play for us? He's now injured.
    But young Fisher has been playing. And by all accounts he really is highly thought of. Raya was saying he's only a year or two behind him. We have 3 competent keepers moving forwards.
    And players like Bauer, we may go back for in Jan. And move onto another target. I firmly believe in the the next 7-10 days (and remember the loan market is a few weeks later) quite a few will go out, and quite a few will come in. But having hoped to get all this sorted before we went away, it simply wasn't viable. Armstrongs agent is making us wait. We had no control over that. Bid down, Newcastle are happy.
    Last edited by champs95; 18-07-2018 at 10:17 PM.

One of the players who interests me, Champs, is Hart. Realistically, he would be better off being recognised as an Under-23 player (for the moment), as he would get more game-time. Unfortunately, that was not the level he came in at, so the official site is still listing him as if he's a genuine member of the first-team squad.
    I wonder which he would prefer. I certainly can't see him being on the pitch in the Championship this season, with Williams and Bell available. Maybe he'll leave altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    By all accounts Auks, they are all Div1 clubs. And what I can say, which may reassure you, is Damien Johnson is really digging his heels in and wants to do as well in the Under 23 league as we possibly can. Certain loans where blocked last season, so we won promotion out of that B league. We are very serious about that, and he wants to keep the core of those young lads together. If they go out, it's because it's good development physically, and sometimes mentally. A bit of toughening up. And we are bringing in, lads who are of a higher quality, and ready to play. Young Davenport already, is making everyone sit up and take notice. Younger than some of these lads of ours, but way ahead in terms of development. We are investing a lot of money on re-structuring the training facilities. Millions. But I'm also surprised to hear Tomlinson is going out? I think it could be down to Davenport.

Ahhh im having a moment remembering a lads name?!! Anyway, tomorrow a young lad is playing for Liverpool against us. And we are bringing him in on Fri. He played at Bristol City last season, but they didn't play him at all. He's highly rated, but it seems only by Liverpool. I'm unsure on this one. I think it's Retford? Hmmmm anyway, he's playing tomorrow apparently.
    Is it Ryan Kent, Champs? He's the only one I can find who was at BC last season.
    If it is him, that probably means farewell to Gladwin, because Kent is a left winger.

If Davenport is the real deal, I'm intrigued by our midfield formation this season. Mowbray has been quite happy to play two holding players in the centre, relying on a centre-forward, a wide player and two No. 10s for attacking threat.
    Will we see the same again (assuming Armstrong returns)? It seems less likely now.
    Ignoring - for a moment - the possibility of youngsters leaving on loan, we have the following possibilities in central midfield:
    Smallwood, Evans, Rothwell, Davenport, Whittingham, Travis, Tomlinson and (on last season's showing) even Bennett. That's without the extra youngster Robin says we have lined up - Piliukaitis!
    If we have one winger on as well - not to mention the 2-1 up front, we are going to have to play with more than eleven!
    Seriously, though, it is hard to pick the bones out of all the available players, which makes it even more likely that Travis and Tomlinson will be loaned to Division One clubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)