+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- BBC and Sir Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It beggars belief in this day and age that if people wish to own a TV to access the hundreds of channels now available on commercial or satellite platforms, they are still obliged to contribute to the funding of one particular broadcaster. To be fair, lots of people do express their anger about it, but nowhere near strongly enough.
    We contribute to the funding whatever the broadcaster, just not directly like the BBC. Most channels are funded by advertisements.
    Companies pay the channel for an ad, then factor the cost into the product or service we buy from them.

I spent my day off yesterday watching all the life and death row series on the iplayer, I also agree with Laxton, I'm sick of the adverts and the dumbing down of TV. Long live the beeb for me.

Just a question but do you guys have to buy a TV licence every year? Over here its 160 euro every October which is harsh to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Just a question but do you guys have to buy a TV licence every year? Over here its 160 euro every October which is harsh to say the least.
    £150.50 unless like Sid you are over 74

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I think the BBC is one of the few things Britain does that I'm proud of. Take the BBC off the broadcasting scene and watch the race for the bottom a la USA. We need a national broadcaster. It's not perfect but it remains the envy of the world media-wise.
    They may have got this one wrong (with Sir Cliff) but babies and bathwater come to mind.
    What a surprise.
    A BBC employee blackmails the police into giving him exclusive access to a raid.
    He was praised to high heaven by his scumbag bosses and they are still defending him and themselves.
    You're proud of them.
    You can bet your last Rouble that it wouldn't have happened if someone like Lenny Henry was in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    £150.50 unless like Sid you are over 74
    Ok so it's the same as here, Irish stations totally suck, like the ITV there is an add break every 10 minutes, not a single add break on the BBC which is why I actually enjoy watching programs on there.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Ok so it's the same as here, Irish stations totally suck, like the ITV there is an add break every 10 minutes, not a single add break on the BBC which is why I actually enjoy watching programs on there.
    Get Tivo and fast forward the ads like most people do, the only live programming I ever vwatch is sport.

I these days of vast competition, why should the BBC be allowed a free ride, they should be made to compete like the rest.

I always felt the BBC could fit the bill as a quango, if they still existed.

Alan Shearer earns over 400k a year. I have great respect for his playing career, one of the best English strikers in my lifetime, but as a pundit he offers very little. Close to half a million pounds out of licence payers money for his contribution is outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Alan Shearer earns over 400k a year. I have great respect for his playing career, one of the best English strikers in my lifetime, but as a pundit he offers very little. Close to half a million pounds out of licence payers money for his contribution is outrageous.
    I'm generally pro BBC but I agree with this, not just Shearer either, the same goes for most of the presenters and pundits. I wouldn't care (or notice) a bit if all of them went off screen tomorrow. The only pundit honest enough to be worth watching IMO is Keane on ITV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast