+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Only half a foot shorter and no shin pads.
    He must have been bonkers no shinnies and all them cloggers waiting to kick 7 bells out of you

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Lovely memories Mr G,although I shuddered a bit hearing the name Nicky Johns

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Lovely memories Mr G,although I shuddered a bit hearing the name Nicky Johns
    Some shocking players in that team BD although mi Dad and me always predicted a decent future for young Gary Hamson. Unfortunately as with others it turned out to be at the Dirties.

well gray jeff king introduced himself to alex on boxing day 79 after 30 seconds ... we never saw the argentinian wizard after that and played with 10 men oh yeah and old long neck charlton had stated in the star the week before we have no plans to man mark alex sabella yeah right !!!

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Certainly their best footballer

Sabella - Footballer > Coach > Manager of Argentina
    Maradona - Footballer > Cheat > Druggie > Fat Druggie Clown

I think that proves it conclusively
    Maradona was also Argentina manager don't forget.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    19th July 1978 we signed ALEX SABELLA,what a talent that fella was but arrived at the wrong time cos WOODY's career was comin to a close and he was on another planet talent wise to the players we had at this time.Yet another who went to Leeds from BDBL folowin in the footsteps of MICK JONES and of course our greatest player ever GOD. UTCB
    Loved watching him , remember him score a goal at I think it was at either Preston or Blackburn where he dribbled the ball from the corner flag all the way up the byline and put it in at the post.

Class act and another we couldn’t wait to cash in on.

Quote Originally Posted by GuancheBlade View Post
    Maradona was also Argentina manager don't forget.
    Its a wonder I can remember what I had for tea yesterday...

Actually, there is one golden moment I recall. In the reserves, Sabella and Kenworthy were returning from injury I think and so I went down to watch them. they ran the game (can't recall who it was against) but our fullback hit a long hoof, and Sabella bicycle kicked it on the full, in the centre circle and switched the play completely from right to left. It landed at the left wingers feet. Astonishing. I couldn't wait to ride my pet unicorn home so I could tell my Dad all about....no hang on. It was a dream, a bloody dream. No it wasn't! It really happened just like that!!! (...except for the unicorn.). One of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen. He was a genius, shame we surrounded him with donkeys (not unicorns).

Vaguely remember the Boxing Day game as being pretty even stevens LST up until when we hit the bar (Jeff Bourne I think) and in the goalmouth scramble (was this when Speight got injured) they eventually cleared and then took a grip on the game after that. Sabella was pretty much anonymous as he was never into getting stuck in and some heft challenges were flying in.

it was even till lanky legs put that 30 yarder in and that scramble when we hit the crossbar was unbelievable anybody who wasnt there take a look on you tube

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    it was even till lanky legs put that 30 yarder in and that scramble when we hit the crossbar was unbelievable anybody who wasnt there take a look on you tube
    Sooner look at the 4 we put past them last September mate.and of course BROOKSY, mekin a r8 jack out of Hunt.UTCB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast