+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's happening to the Academy?

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    McGoldrick, Leon Best and the kid who Trew sold to Liverpool before he jumped ship so to speak...
    Can we call the kid a success until he's made it? Sure he's gone to Liverpool but he's not made it yet has he? Until he's played first team games, I don't think he counts. Agree with McGoldrick and Best though, they've forged out fairly decent Championship careers for themselves. £50,000 was an absolute steal for Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Can we call the kid a success until he's made it? Sure he's gone to Liverpool but he's not made it yet has he? Until he's played first team games, I don't think he counts. Agree with McGoldrick and Best though, they've forged out fairly decent Championship careers for themselves. £50,000 was an absolute steal for Southampton
    They were sold for those 50 K price tags by the Administrator if you remember.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    No he wasn't good enough and I accept that without issue and Pravda you are right, young Jack Bearne was sold to Liverpool for good money, he is a superb talent. All I can say is the Academy was run in an excellent way before with many ex players coaching Fairclough, Davis, McCulloch, Gallagher and the atmosphere was great. This is not a personal attack on AH I just want to know why the place is in such a mess but he doesn't seem to want to answer.
    That was obvious what your real point was. Maybe its not a mess, and its going through changes to meet his plans for it? Might be in transition and not a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    They were sold for those 50 K price tags by the Administrator if you remember.
    Oh yeah, wonder how much they got in back handers for selling at that price?

Another name sprung to mind while I was avin' me tea: Malcolm Rigby who we sold to Forest for £50,000 and who then went non-league 1994-95.

I'm really confused by this post though, because just after the Basford game, AH was bigging up academy manager John Goodman, on his twitter account, in relation to Chinese prodigy Dongda He.

So has Goodman left?

Dongda He was signed after he was released by Forest 6 years ago by Leonard.

I don't think it's going through a transition? More a collapse! AH put his mate in charge when he took over, he lasted 3 months! Then Jon Goodman came and apparently we have the worst Category 3 Academy in the country now so obviously he was a total failure. Would McParland be a good candidate for the job to revive things?

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    I don't think it's going through a transition? More a collapse! AH put his mate in charge when he took over, he lasted 3 months! Then Jon Goodman came and apparently we have the worst Category 3 Academy in the country now so obviously he was a total failure. Would McParland be a good candidate for the job to revive things?
    Worst Cat 3 in the country? How do you know that?
    Assume whatever state it is in right now isn't the product of the current incumbent, but years of neglect from many in terms of funding and not even having one for a long time. Its not gonna be top notch inside a year or so.
    We appear to have a number of positive youngsters on the fringes, which is what its all about, but there is always going to be a lead time to get players in the first team when you haven't got an academy for many years.
    Still sounds like you are angry at the little one being released to me.

Kelvin Wilson is probably the most recent semi succesful player to come through I'd imagine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast