Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
A couple of years ago my MP Brendan O’Hara who is a Tim wax banging on about the raw deal that women were getting with the equalisation of the state pension age at 65. I emailed him and told him that men who previously would have received their heating allowance when they reached the age of 60 were also being penalised with the state pension age increasing to 65.
His reply to me was that I was the first person to have contacted him on this subject and I should set up my own petition. News takes a while to reach Argyll and Bute even in the 21st century because the locals are too busy flapping about ferries.
There are people (not many) who suggest that men should get their pension younger than women due to life expectancy.

It would be hard to implement giving the continual blurring of lines between male and female though.

Another train of thought is to give people the option of taking a higher pension earlier and reducing.......controversial but it wouldn't half boost the economy instead of having people in their late eighties and nineties with thousands in bank accts with nothing to spend it on.

I was once told by a very high ranking pension adviser to various governments that "they just can't grasp it" and "they change their mind over the course of a few months".

He also told me a govt minister (not named) was most upset when there pension scheme was proposed to go from a 40th scheme to a 30th scheme which was more beneficial.

He/she thought they were getting hard done by and at first refused to believe most folk had to make do with 60th or 80th schemes if they were lucky enuf to have them at all.