+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    Yes! Remember always thinking/wishing he was slightly (/a lot) better than he was. There were a few in that era for me.
    I remember a rumour that Chelsea were interested in signing him and word of £1m being offered but no idea if it was the case or if it was Chinese Whispers.

Tony Garcia! Big Sam signed him from the French leagues. Always looked really good when I saw him, but he just disappeared off the face of the earth after playing a few games for us. Maybe Matt Redmile ate him.

Also Francis Tierney. Another Big Sam signing who looked alright but then vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    Steve Finnan moved on to Fulham 172 appearances then to Liverpool 145 appearances
    And over 50 caps for Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Tony Garcia! Big Sam signed him from the French leagues. Always looked really good when I saw him, but he just disappeared off the face of the earth after playing a few games for us. Maybe Matt Redmile ate him.

Also Francis Tierney. Another Big Sam signing who looked alright but then vanished.
    Also, David Joseph!

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    And over 50 caps for Ireland!
    He was excellent for Ireland too, buckets of energy and no lack of skill on the ball, very decent player indeed

I thought Jeremy Balmy was a good prospect 3 or 4 years ago. Looked good on the wing. Played well against Derby in the pre season friendly but just slipped away after that

Gabriel (Chi Chi) Mendez.

Only saw him briefly once when I was about 14. I thought the guy looked awesome and then he disappeared.
    Last edited by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH; 19-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Filip Valencic. I seem to remember him scoring on his debut before promptly disappearing.

Also, Ruben Zadkovic. Played a handful of games before disappearing. He ended playing for the Australian national team.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Mike Barber, signed from QPR and looked good but got injured early in his Notts career and had to retire.
    As a kid I liked Benny Docherty, I think he finished up in Scotland.
    My two favourite Notts players from 1963/4
    Mike Barber was a speedy and skillful left winger who was injured at Watford in early 1964.
    Benny Docherty was a very lively but quite short inside forward who I vividly remember scoring his only goal for Notts in front of the Kop vs Crewe with a header!
    I found this when I Googled Benny Docherty http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wiltshir...00/9275900.stm
    My personal favourite player who never made it was Ian Scanlon. Who can forget that hat trick?

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    Steve Finnan moved on to Fulham 172 appearances then to Liverpool 145 appearances
    Guess your not used to Robs humor

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast