+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

I didn't say we had missed out on them. Overlooked more likely. But that's my opinion. Did you go to the away games where both Osbourn and Howes played? I did and they certainly didn't look our of their depth..

I suppose you believe that Tommy Johnson, Mark Draper and Paul Heffernan should not have been given a game at their age..Trevor Francis also at Brum.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    My two favourite Notts players from 1963/4
    Mike Barber was a speedy and skillful left winger who was injured at Watford in early 1964.
    Benny Docherty was a very lively but quite short inside forward who I vividly remember scoring his only goal for Notts in front of the Kop vs Crewe with a header!
    I found this when I Googled Benny Docherty http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wiltshir...00/9275900.stm
    My personal favourite player who never made it was Ian Scanlon. Who can forget that hat trick?

I think it was on the 12 September 1964 in the goal-less draw at home to Aldershot that Mike Barber's career ended.The red-headed full back for the visitors,Dick Renwick,was sent off for a crude leg-breaking challenge.I remember it because the incident occurred directly in front of me.
    Benny Docherty incurred a lengthy suspension for striking a referee and such was our subsequent poor form that the plaintive rejoinder to bring back our Benny,not Bonnie,to me,emanated from the Lane End.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Tommy Gallagher - looked a decent full-back and then I'm not sure what happened. Think he still lives in the area.
    That's a good call. Was a semi-regular in 95/96 but only made one appearance in 96/97 and left in February. Then later joined Stafford Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Eddie Snook
    Ha! His name kept on appearing in our Rothman's yearbook list of players for years after he disappeared. He's probably still a registered player with us to this day.

I think after the success of Mark Draper, Tommy Johnson and Dean Yates, many thought we had another generation of future stars in players like Richard walker, Paul Cox, Steve Slawson and Paul Sherlock, bearing in mind they all played a decent number of games in the Warnock/Walker eras, but for one reason or another none of them really fulfilled that early promise.

I don’t think anyone is saying players should not be given a chance because of being too young. IMO the problems are 2 fold, are the young players good enough as well as consistent enough to warrant a start? Secondly, Notts fans more so than any I have encountered have zero patience, so would playing younger more inconsistent players have benefited the player let alone the team? Both of these comments are based on what we had last season.

As for suggesting KN has a reluctance to playing youth. That is just you spouting your usual BS negativity. I consider Hall, Elliott, Fitz, Grant, Yates, Husin to be young lads, all played a part in last seasons success at one stage or another.

KN is learning his trade, he has admitted that he made mistakes last season and felt he has learned a lot. I suppose we should have just plumped for another manager who has 15 clubs in 8 years to ‘take us forward’. Jesus Durham, you are one sad act who appears to have nothing positive to say about Notts. It’s not like you actually provide anything to back up your unsubstantiated comments aimed at the club.

I'm referring to our own grown players, not loan players who we are obliged to play.

Ian Ridgeway thought he was class when I went to watch the reserves in mid 90’s he was a small lad but he abit of skill he might have made it in this era of little contact who knows played a few times for the first team maybe when Dean Thomas was joint manager.....think he just vanished after we got rid !

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I'm referring to our own grown players, not loan players who we are obliged to play.
    Do you know for a fact that we were "obliged" to play any loan players, or is it just another of your ridiculous statements where you post a load of negative cr@p and hope nobody pulls you up on it?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast