+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Tristan Benjamin is one of Notts' best players in living memory, playing 3 season's as first choice right back in the top flight. The only thing that would stop me putting him in my all time Notts XI is that we have had so many great CBs that Pedro, who has to be included, needs to go in at RB to accommodate them. So I don't really class him as one who 'never made it'. He made 311 appearances for Notts and was player of the year in 1986.

Likewise David Hunt, who was also a top flight regular and was player of the year in 1980. He played 336 games for Notts, more than Don Masson. Back in those days, 'making it' meant staying with Notts, not going elsewhere to play higher up the pyramid.

Never liked David Pipe though, he went to prison for breaking someone's skull. He epitomises the worst spell in our history, to me. Mills, The Trust and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Tristan Benjamin is one of Notts' best players in living memory, playing 3 season's as first choice right back in the top flight. The only thing that would stop me putting him in my all time Notts XI is that we have had so many great CBs that Pedro, who has to be included, needs to go in at RB to accommodate them. So I don't really class him as one who 'never made it'. He made 311 appearances for Notts and was player of the year in 1986.

Likewise David Hunt, who was also a top flight regular and was player of the year in 1980. He played 336 games for Notts, more than Don Masson. Back in those days, 'making it' meant staying with Notts, not going elsewhere to play higher up the pyramid.

Never liked David Pipe though, he went to prison for breaking someone's skull. He epitomises the worst spell in our history, to me. Mills, The Trust and so on.
    I remember being amazed at how well Hunt could control the ball with his chest. Till this day, not seen anyone better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post

Bo - just for clarity, the question posed was ".... Anyone remember any particularly good ones....". As stated, Benji was pure class. Hunt was quality too, somewhat under rated by many, but an effective player in the top flight. They were the best 2 utility players I've ever seen in a Notts shirt.

If I am reading some other posts correctly there seemed to be a suggestion that Turner "wasn't very good" - which is amazing if so, he was outstanding for us, a genuine competitor with a wide range of skills. His application and attitude were exceptional. He was also a brilliant captain and leader.

Somebody else mentioned Bolland which causes the recurring nightmares to start all over again. Absolutely shocking footballer, no talent and no ability to shoot without causing risk to people sitting at the back of the stand. Allardyce's "he's the best midfielder outside the Prem League" comment is still etched in my memory. In any worst Notts XI, that bloke would be first name on the team sheet, he was simply diabolical. A master at just missing a tackle, getting caught in possession, mi****ting any pass into touch or to the opposition and I actually think he invented the concept of running around like a headless chicken. He was utter cr@p.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Bo - just for clarity, the question posed was ".... Anyone remember any particularly good ones....". As stated, Benji was pure class. Hunt was quality too, somewhat under rated by many, but an effective player in the top flight. They were the best 2 utility players I've ever seen in a Notts shirt.

If I am reading some other posts correctly there seemed to be a suggestion that Turner "wasn't very good" - which is amazing if so, he was outstanding for us, a genuine competitor with a wide range of skills. His application and attitude were exceptional. He was also a brilliant captain and leader.

Somebody else mentioned Bolland which causes the recurring nightmares to start all over again. Absolutely shocking footballer, no talent and no ability to shoot without causing risk to people sitting at the back of the stand. Allardyce's "he's the best midfielder outside the Prem League" comment is still etched in my memory. In any worst Notts XI, that bloke would be first name on the team sheet, he was simply diabolical. A master at just missing a tackle, getting caught in possession, mi****ting any pass into touch or to the opposition and I actually think he invented the concept of running around like a headless chicken. He was utter cr@p.
    I was thinking pretty much the same about Bolland, he was utter dross. He certainly makes my Notts, all time cr@p starting XI.
    Last edited by navypie; 22-07-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    I can only half agree with you on Paul Bolland. I would agree that his control, passing and shooting were awful, but he could certainly tackle. Tackling, energy and 100% effort were his strong points even though he was devoid of most basic footballing skills. He gave us a physical presence in midfield, just never a creative one. For those reasons he wouldn't get close to my all-time worst Notts XI.

Hmm, he was probably more of a potential physical presence than an actual one for my money. He was combative, granted - problem for me was that he was continually just that fraction too late most of the time, so didn't actually make many challenges. He also lost out on most of the ones he did make and/or simply lost the ball immediately anyway.

I take your point to an extent but would maintain he was over hyped by Allardyce and was a desperately poor example of a professional footballer, even at basement level he was dire IMO.

My recollection of Paul Bolland is that he was an energetic player who got around the pitch better than most, was good in the tackle and could win possession.

The problem was that, having won the ball, he would give it back to the opposition about two seconds later, either with a misplaced pass or by shooting hopelessly wide of the goal. He certainly wasn’t the best midfielder in any division, but he wasn’t the worst either.

I was delighted when Mansfield signed Bolland from Grimsby. Why shouldn't they have to suffer him as well .Still makes my all time cr@p starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I can only half agree with you on Paul Bolland. I would agree that his control, passing and shooting were awful, but he could certainly tackle. Tackling, energy and 100% effort were his strong points even though he was devoid of most basic footballing skills. He gave us a physical presence in midfield, just never a creative one. For those reasons he wouldn't get close to my all-time worst Notts XI.
    Nor mine.

I liked him and thought he added a lot for us when he was here.

350+ games - can all the managers be so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I was delighted when Mansfield signed Bolland from Grimsby. Why shouldn't they have to suffer him as well .Still makes my all time cr@p starting XI.
    We've had so many wasters over the years I could never include anyone who gave his all in any 'Worst XI', and the one thing you couldn't fault Paul Bolland for was his effort. Even though I seem to remember it leading to a very long drawn out argument when I posted it before, I'll say it again - because of the level we play at I can cope with a lack of ability, but I can never cope with a lack of effort.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast