+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    The often mentioned utility player. Usually code for “not really good enough for a first team role in any one position”.

We’ve had quite a few “utility” players in our time.......

Does anyone remember any particularly good ones.

My thoughts a folk like Dean Thomas who played in a few positions from midfield to defence. Steve Finnan was mentioned earlier. He played solely as a winger for us (in his loan spell and when he signed) even though nearly all the rest of his career was spent at full back/wing back.

Anyone think of other players who have played in many positions for Notts.

Phil Turner I seem to recall played midfield, upfront and as emergency centre half and I sort of remember him or Tommy Johnson going in goal for us at some point.....anyone help with my memory?!
    You are correct he wasn't very good really think he played for the Stags after us not sure if he drafted into non-league after.

Alan Sheehan moved from full back to centre of defence for us. Didn't Dave Watson start as a centre forward?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    The often mentioned utility player. Usually code for “not really good enough for a first team role in any one position”.

We’ve had quite a few “utility” players in our time.......

Does anyone remember any particularly good ones.

My thoughts a folk like Dean Thomas who played in a few positions from midfield to defence. Steve Finnan was mentioned earlier. He played solely as a winger for us (in his loan spell and when he signed) even though nearly all the rest of his career was spent at full back/wing back.

Anyone think of other players who have played in many positions for Notts.

Phil Turner I seem to recall played midfield, upfront and as emergency centre half and I sort of remember him or Tommy Johnson going in goal for us at some point.....anyone help with my memory?!
    Of those who were certainly good enough to warrant a first team place, Tristan Benjamin and David Hunt spring to mind. Benji was class in midfield, fullback and central defence. Hunty was decent enough in the same positions. They could both be pushed up front in a crisis too.

I remember us signing a guy from Rotherham for £1000 after he scored against us but not sure what happened to him?
    Last edited by forwardmagpie; 20-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I seem to remember David Pipe stepping in as a centre half and performing admirably there for at least a game or two?
    I remember Pipe playing right mid, right back and centre mid. He could play pretty much anywhere purely because he was a bit of a beast and gave it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Of those who were certainly good enough to warrant a first team place, Tristan Benjamin and David Hunt spring to mind. Benji was class in midfield, fullback and central defence. Hunty was decent enough in the same positions. They could both be pushed up front in a crisis too.
    Benjy was one of my favourite players. Classy and calm.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Benjy was one of my favourite players. Classy and calm.
    Should have played for a bigger team than Notts but let's not forget, we were decent back then.

TB finished his career in Sweden he once told me.

Paul Bolland.

Always loved it when he was in the team. A tough midfielder who was in the Jamie Pollack type ilk. Went to Grimsby, then Mansfield, but thought he potential to cut it a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Should have played for a bigger team than Notts but let's not forget, we were decent back then.

TB finished his career in Sweden he once told me.
    I thought he finished his career in Sutton-in-Ashfield?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I remember Pipe playing right mid, right back and centre mid. He could play pretty much anywhere purely because he was a bit of a beast and gave it 100%.
    David Pipe Pipe Pipe! He was the only one that provided any entertainment in that era of dross that I can remember, probably my first "favourite Notts player", after Caskey of course.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast