+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Got chatting to a friend and this one comes up a lot: players you've taken a shine to, for whatever reason (maybe a great pre-season, or just the fact they seem like the kind of player we needed at the time) but the manager didn't fancy.

One that came up today to start you off was Shane McFaul – still apparently playing in the Finnish leagues. Watched him in a couple of games and couldn't get why the manager didn't realise he was basically the next Stephen Gerrard ...

More recently, Genarro Snijders – fans seemed to love him, but he never really got a chance... and his career since Notts (Dutch fourth tier, I think ...) possibly indicates why.

Steve Finnan, looked great for us but moved on never to be seen again.

I think he ended up in property development.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post

That'll be those Finnan and Lund signs you always see around West Bridgford.

Mike Barber, signed from QPR and looked good but got injured early in his Notts career and had to retire.
    As a kid I liked Benny Docherty, I think he finished up in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post

Steve Finnan moved on to Fulham 172 appearances then to Liverpool 145 appearances

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    Got chatting to a friend and this one comes up a lot: players you've taken a shine to, for whatever reason (maybe a great pre-season, or just the fact they seem like the kind of player we needed at the time) but the manager didn't fancy.

One that came up today to start you off was Shane McFaul – still apparently playing in the Finnish leagues. Watched him in a couple of games and couldn't get why the manager didn't realise he was basically the next Stephen Gerrard ...

More recently, Genarro Snijders – fans seemed to love him, but he never really got a chance... and his career since Notts (Dutch fourth tier, I think ...) possibly indicates why.
    Wow that's a blast from the past Matt, I remember him playing for Notts as a ****ager and was delighted to see another Irish man pull on the black and white stripes, he came back to Ireland after and bounced around clubs and as you said he is in Finland now, still only 32 which I struggle to believe

As for your question I remember Matt Redmile very well, I thought the guy had a big future in the game but after leaving Notts he all but disappeared into non league football.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    As for your question I remember Matt Redmile very well, I thought the guy had a big future in the game but after leaving Notts he all but disappeared into non league football.
    Yes! Remember always thinking/wishing he was slightly (/a lot) better than he was. There were a few in that era for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    Steve Finnan moved on to Fulham 172 appearances then to Liverpool 145 appearances
    Whooosh!

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post

Jonathon Forte

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast