+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    We've had so many wasters over the years I could never include anyone who gave his all in any 'Worst XI', and the one thing you couldn't fault Paul Bolland for was his effort. Even though I seem to remember it leading to a very long drawn out argument when I posted it before, I'll say it again - because of the level we play at I can cope with a lack of ability, but I can never cope with a lack of effort.
    Stick me on gods turf and you wont see a lack of effort .Bit of a wand of a left foot in my time but to be honest , i was cr@p.Bolland still makes my worse.

Bolland was garbage as a player no one could fault his effort but that sadly isn’t enough even at our level.

He would just force his way into my worst 11 !!

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Bolland was garbage as a player no one could fault his effort but that sadly isn’t enough even at our level.

He would just force his way into my worst 11 !!
    I always kinda liked Bolland – and his chant, the Hey Jude, maybe first Notts player to get that one?

But I think the main reason he looked "good" was that his spot in the 11 often meant Gary Owers didn't have to play.

Incidentally he's now head of football at a posh boarding school near York (according to wiki).

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Both Sam Osborne and Alex Howes were nowhere near ready for the first team last season. Even at the moment, the best they can hope for is a place on the bench. I hope both of them can make the big step up to first team level, but to suggest they were players we missed out on last season sums up your knowledge of the game. I'm pretty sure that if Nolan had played them, you would be first in the queue to slate him for playing unproven youngsters.
    I can't agree with this. Given that our promotion dreams bit the dust anyway, what was the point of Alan Smith being on the bench week in week out making 5 minute appearances here and there. It achieved absolutely nothing, nil, zilch. Allowing young players like Osborne and Howes the opportunity of a bench place, and the odd minutes here and there is how youngsters are brought through. Other teams do it. We seem to have a policy (built up over many years, not just recently) of trying to buy a team rather than grow one.

Favourite Notts player who never "made it" has to be Paul Barnes. Terrible problems with injuries, which had he been injury free.... who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Billy Daniels. One belter of a goal and then just seemed to disappear.
    Didn't stop the Royal Navy using him in this tenuous recruitment ad....

Bolland was pretty rubbish at football, but he gave it 100% and at least tried to win the ball. For that reason alone he was better than a handful of other midfielders we've had. Mark Fotheringham was worse - he just strolled around the pitch, never making a tackle, rarely touching the ball.

Probably Paul Hooks looked destined for better things that never came.

Paul Hooks played in the best teams we have ever had, you can hardly put in the never made it category.

Loyd Richards and to a degree Tristan Benjamin, but to be fair to the later he was a great servant to Notts I just thought he had so much more to offer, never panicked on the ball.

Loyd Richards was around the club at the same time as Pedro he was another who appeared to have everything to become a really top player but just disappeared, sad really as he could have been a really classy player.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011