+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player who never "made it"

Why do most threads turn into slanging matches? people have different opinions about football and who is good or bad etc.
    But someone as to be called an @rsehole or dickhead. Surely we can disagree with each other without calling someone a prat every time.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    why do most threads turn into slanging
    matches? People have different opinions about football and who is good or bad etc.
    But someone as to be called an @rsehole or dickhead. Surely we can disagree with each other without calling someone a prat every time.
    this!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think after the success of Mark Draper, Tommy Johnson and Dean Yates, many thought we had another generation of future stars in players like Richard walker, Paul Cox, Steve Slawson and Paul Sherlock, bearing in mind they all played a decent number of games in the Warnock/Walker eras, but for one reason or another none of them really fulfilled that early promise.
    Of them I felt for Richard Walker. I really think out of them he was the one who could have made it, he only had one foot but did have some pace, and the physical build (of Yates at least) and could play a ball out of defence (when he was allowed to. The turning point if I recall for him was at Grimsby where whilst getting Micheal Johnson out of trouble for an awful back pass (ironic he went on to have a very successful career at higher levels with quite awful passing ability) he collided with a post clearing the ball off the line.
    He was never the same player and drifted in to the full back position and in to the wilderness.

Of the others, I went to School with Paul
    Cox and always thought he was too short to be a central defender, Steve Slawson despite a wicked shot had no pace and the turning circle of the QE2. And for some reason I don’t remember much about Sherlock but I do remember thinking he was never near the finished article.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Of them I felt for Richard Walker. I really think out of them he was the one who could have made it, he only had one foot but did have some pace, and the physical build (of Yates at least) and could play a ball out of defence (when he was allowed to. The turning point if I recall for him was at Grimsby where whilst getting Micheal Johnson out of trouble for an awful back pass (ironic he went on to have a very successful career at higher levels with quite awful passing ability) he collided with a post clearing the ball off the line.
    He was never the same player and drifted in to the full back position and in to the wilderness.

Cox and always thought he was too short to be a central defender, Steve Slawson despite a wicked shot had no pace and the turning circle of the QE2. And for some reason I don’t remember much about Sherlock but I do remember thinking he was never near the finished article.
    Have enjoyed this thread – thanks all!

Sherlock was a player who could play various positions I didn't rate him that highly myself but I was at the game at Fratton Park where he scored a screamer for us to make it 1-1 wasn't a good day as we missed a penalty (I think) and lost 2-1 in the 94th min

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Sherlock was a player who could play various positions I didn't rate him that highly myself but I was at the game at Fratton Park where he scored a screamer for us to make it 1-1 wasn't a good day as we missed a penalty (I think) and lost 2-1 in the 94th min
    The often mentioned utility player. Usually code for “not really good enough for a first team role in any one position”.

We’ve had quite a few “utility” players in our time.......

Does anyone remember any particularly good ones.

My thoughts a folk like Dean Thomas who played in a few positions from midfield to defence. Steve Finnan was mentioned earlier. He played solely as a winger for us (in his loan spell and when he signed) even though nearly all the rest of his career was spent at full back/wing back.

Anyone think of other players who have played in many positions for Notts.

Phil Turner I seem to recall played midfield, upfront and as emergency centre half and I sort of remember him or Tommy Johnson going in goal for us at some point.....anyone help with my memory?!

Phil Turner I seem to recall played midfield, upfront and as emergency centre half and I sort of remember him or Tommy Johnson going in goal for us at some point.....anyone help with my memory?!
    Alex Dyer (now Kilmarnock assistant manager) in the Allardyce years springs to mind. CB and Striker – fantastically useful at both for a period one season. Dion Dublin did in in the Prem with Cov, didn't he, one year that they stayed up?

Also, am I going mad or did Ian Richardson have a game or two as striker?

Also Ian Hendon started as a CM and shifted to right back, sort of opposite to Shaun Derry at a similar time ... ?

The often mentioned utility player. Usually code for “not really good enough for a first team role in any one position”.

We’ve had quite a few “utility” players in our time.......

Does anyone remember any particularly good ones.

My thoughts a folk like Dean Thomas who played in a few positions from midfield to defence. Steve Finnan was mentioned earlier. He played solely as a winger for us (in his loan spell and when he signed) even though nearly all the rest of his career was spent at full back/wing back.

I seem to remember David Pipe stepping in as a centre half and performing admirably there for at least a game or two?

What about Paul Hooks?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast