+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rationale behind not staying away.

The rationale behind not staying away.

Hughie asked if there's a feeling in the city that Rafa going would be the final straw for some...and there definitely is. me and my mates have discussed it a lot and i know other groups of fans who have. But, as the very next post says, it won't happen...although I'd add the word 'probably[ because, at some stage, there will be a final straw for some fans and, given the regard in which Rafa is held, him going might be it.

I suppose that we'll only know if he does go...because fans won't know how they're going to react until it happens. I honestly don't.

Anyway, I know there's a split between those who think staying away is the answer and those who think it won't achieve anything...or who think that it might if enough stayed away but think that that won't happen.

I'm in that last group. If everyone stayed and stopped buying shirts, etc, away then Ashley would soon sell up, I think. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought enough fans were behind it. But, we know that isn't going to happen, it just isn't. Even if, say half the crowd-25,000, stayed away-and that would be a massive statement by the fans-nothing would change apart from the atmosphere being further eroded and the support to the team lessened. There are enough people who go who don't think it would work at all as well as the 'Ashley isn't going to force me out of the club I love' fans or the 'you can't turn your back on the club when it needs you' supporters. And that's not a dig, either, because there's probably part of that in all of us who still attend.

I'm certainly not going to criticise people for either choice because each fan has to do what they think is right. What I have noticed, though, is that despite us all wanting the best for the club, the only insults (apart from WUMs and their opinion doesn't count) I see are from the fans who stay away to the fans who still attend. Variously I've seen on Newcastleonline, the Chron comments and on here! us being called sheep, pathetic and loads worse...and I don't get that, tbh. I mean, ffs...aye, it's the fans that are the problem????

Staying away could work...but it would need to be just about everyone. Not wanting to give him any more money is something i can totally understand but, for me, it's not going to force him out. The pain of giving him my money is outweighed by all the reasons why I do still go.

As I say, each to their own. I back the decision of those like Mick who have chosen not to go. So for those who want to have a go at me (and others) for staying, you can fuck off.

It's what the fat slug is doing to our club that stopped me going.I am not going to pay money towards his thieving out of the club.The only thing to look forward to this season is another relegation struggle.
    If we go down I honestly can't see us coming back up with home here.
    I would never have a go at anyone for going.Not like the insults I have had for not going.Each to their own as far as I am concerned as well.
    One thing is for certain though.Those that go have not been rewarded for loyalty.On or off the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Hughie asked if there's a feeling in the city that Rafa going would be the final straw for some...and there definitely is. me and my mates have discussed it a lot and i know other groups of fans who have. But, as the very next post says, it won't happen...although I'd add the word 'probably[ because, at some stage, there will be a final straw for some fans and, given the regard in which Rafa is held, him going might be it.

I suppose that we'll only know if he does go...because fans won't know how they're going to react until it happens. I honestly don't.

Anyway, I know there's a split between those who think staying away is the answer and those who think it won't achieve anything...or who think that it might if enough stayed away but think that that won't happen.

I'm in that last group. If everyone stayed and stopped buying shirts, etc, away then Ashley would soon sell up, I think. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought enough fans were behind it. But, we know that isn't going to happen, it just isn't. Even if, say half the crowd-25,000, stayed away-and that would be a massive statement by the fans-nothing would change apart from the atmosphere being further eroded and the support to the team lessened. There are enough people who go who don't think it would work at all as well as the 'Ashley isn't going to force me out of the club I love' fans or the 'you can't turn your back on the club when it needs you' supporters. And that's not a dig, either, because there's probably part of that in all of us who still attend.

I'm certainly not going to criticise people for either choice because each fan has to do what they think is right. What I have noticed, though, is that despite us all wanting the best for the club, the only insults (apart from WUMs and their opinion doesn't count) I see are from the fans who stay away to the fans who still attend. Variously I've seen on Newcastleonline, the Chron comments and on here! us being called sheep, pathetic and loads worse...and I don't get that, tbh. I mean, ffs...aye, it's the fans that are the problem????

Staying away could work...but it would need to be just about everyone. Not wanting to give him any more money is something i can totally understand but, for me, it's not going to force him out. The pain of giving him my money is outweighed by all the reasons why I do still go.

As I say, each to their own. I back the decision of those like Mick who have chosen not to go. So for those who want to have a go at me (and others) for staying, you can fuck off.
    Well put Zippity. It is a dificult one but looking at the future perspective Rafa staying would ensure that the best was got out of the club and that somehow the fans were being considered.

After all what was the point of Ashley pulling off the ultimate scoop of his tenure to date and then not making the most of it. It doesn't make sense for him to appoint a manager/saviour of the standing of Rafa and then not give him the ammunition required for the battle.

When Rafa was appointed apart from having a slim chance of keeping us up that season I could only think of two reasons Ashley could be contemplating.

One was that he had come to his senses and decided that the best way for our club was to build and create and thus ultimately make his own investment secure and successful.

The second was that Ashley expected a quick fix and would finance to the extent that the club was a viable purchase at a figure he would accept. So that we would be sold to some purchaser whe would take us onwards and upwards.

It appears I was wrong on both counts and Ashley simply reverted to form and couldn't stomach the pain of having to invest in order to accumulate.

He's just like an inveterate gambler or an inverterate drunk. Knows what the right thing is which needs to be done but can't stick with it long enough without reverting to his weaknesses.

If he doesn't back Rafa until it's too late to retain Rafa's confidence then you couldn't blame Rafa for moving of to where he would be appreciated. Having said that I feel he is such an honest, sincere man that as with Liverpool he will always hold us dear.

If Rafa does move on then it's down hill from here and look what another session in the Chimpo will mean if we don't bounce back again in one. Those wages the players were earning then were astronomical for that league and depended on promotion. If that happens again with a prolonged spell downstairs every player on above £15k per week will be away and if spending in that league is on a par relatavely with what we have seen recent windows then it's down hill as fast as Sunderland God forbid.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 19-07-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    It's what the fat slug is doing to our club that stopped me going.I am not going to pay money towards his thieving out of the club.The only thing to look forward to this season is another relegation struggle.
    If we go down I honestly can't see us coming back up with home here.
    I would never have a go at anyone for going.Not like the insults I have had for not going.Each to their own as far as I am concerned as well.
    One thing is for certain though.Those that go have not been rewarded for loyalty.On or off the pitch.
    Good answer, Geordie.

That last part is, sadly, spot on.

I honestly don't see what is so difficult about a mass boycott for a few games .
    It's tragic what fatso is doing and still people buy into it.
    The only way is buy nothing from shoite defect , boycott the match , this will see sky reschedule games , cos they will not broadcast from an empty stadium . This will hit his leeching money .. Follow this course and he will sell up without a shadow of doubt.

Not buying the new strips/merchandise would be a good start.

West Ham fans did not stay away but a hardcore of them gave bad publicity to the club.

Pitch invasions,sticking corner flags in the centre circle during a game and confrontations with players.

Fans in the crowd confronting one of the owners and fighting with stewards trying to defend him were part of it.

The owners have splashed the cash this window but I think Ashley is too thick skinned for this method.

A direct attack and bad publicity for his first love Sports Direct might drive him out but it would have to be sustained for months.It would be breaking the law but throwing paint over SD advertising would get media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    West Ham fans did not stay away but a hardcore of them gave bad publicity to the club.

Pitch invasions,sticking corner flags in the centre circle during a game and confrontations with players.

Fans in the crowd confronting one of the owners and fighting with stewards trying to defend him were part of it.

The owners have splashed the cash this window but I think Ashley is too thick skinned for this method.

A direct attack and bad publicity for his first love Sports Direct might drive him out but it would have to be sustained for months.It would be breaking the law but throwing paint over SD advertising would get media attention.
    Not sure how getting yourself a criminal record , fines , and banned from the stadium is easier than staying away in the first place .
    The truth is , and Ashley knows it , the fans won't stay away , will still buy the shirt etc no matter what he does to Newcastle Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

Great post! I have absolutely no idea whether or not it would be possible to pull a sustainable boycott off, but to criticise fans of the football club for going to see their team play - that's senseless!

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Great post! I have absolutely no idea whether or not it would be possible to pull a sustainable boycott off, but to criticise fans of the football club for going to see their team play - that's senseless!
    An organised boycott of one particular early season televised match would achieve a massive amount of world wide publicity especially if it was organised at the same time for massive protests with banners etc based around Sports Direct Tat.

He wouldn't like that, would shun publicity and shudder waiting for the next organised event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)