+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- Local Councils

OT- Local Councils

I just got a newsletter which highlights plans to unify all local councils.

Gedling councillors have rejected the idea, it's the first I've herad of it. What do we think to the idea, might we be better off, would it improve services, will we get a say?

https://www.gedling.gov.uk/resident/...very&utm_term=

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post

Gedling councillors have rejected the idea, it's the first I've herad of it. What do we think to the idea, might we be better off, would it improve services, will we get a say?

This is Kay Cutts barmy idea of abolishing all the local councils and everything run from county hall, she claims it will save money but in reality it is a power grab.

Apparently if they go through with it, the City Council will grab a load of places from the County. Would imagine people will get sued as it will effect house prices and such

Pros - A lot of money saved. 7 x Chief Exec Officers on £100k+ a year gone for starters. Combined efficiency, purchasing power. High profile services (schools, roads, social care, health) are already run from County anyway.

Cons - More local services may suffer. Do the people of Retford, Worksop and Kirkby want someone in West Bridgford making decisions for community projects?

Not sure if there's a political motivation, as the county swings from red to blue regularly. Unless the land grab that CBP talks about involves Cutts throwing some Labour wards the City's way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Apparently if they go through with it, the City Council will grab a load of places from the County. Would imagine people will get sued as it will effect house prices and such
    The City has been keen to expand for a long time. Very small boundary gives it a small population (on paper) in comparison to other cities that it's obviously bigger than. Rushcliffe would never agree to join, but sure the City would be delighted with chunks of Broxtowe and Gedling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Pros - A lot of money saved. 7 x Chief Exec Officers on £100k+ a year gone for starters. Combined efficiency, purchasing power. High profile services (schools, roads, social care, health) are already run from County anyway.

Cons - More local services may suffer. Do the people of Retford, Worksop and Kirkby want someone in West Bridgford making decisions for community projects?

Not sure if there's a political motivation, as the county swings from red to blue regularly. Unless the land grab that CBP talks about involves Cutts throwing some Labour wards the City's way.....
    That's all very well if those savings are passed on through e.g extra coppers, fireman or better road maintenance among other things but I doubt that we'd see any difference at all?

The City has been keen to expand for a long time. Very small boundary gives it a small population (on paper) in comparison to other cities that it's obviously bigger than. Rushcliffe would never agree to join, but sure the City would be delighted with chunks of Broxtowe and Gedling.
    I think the City are after Beeston and Hucknall as well as parts of Gedling. They are also proposing that they link up with Derby city council to do a land grab of the bits between Derby and Nottingham, so taking Broxtowe would help achieve that I would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post

Whilst I don't want to be ruled by any regime involving Kay Cutts, Gedling Borough Council hasn't exactly endeared itself to the local population. We may want a council that puts Gedling first but we have a council that puts its own interests first.

The City has been keen to expand for a long time.
    I'm surprised at that. Chairman Collins is only kept in power due to the Labour supporting areas close to the city. If he expands into Tory country that may change and with any luck he will get kicked out of office.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I'm surprised at that. Chairman Collins is only kept in power due to the Labour supporting areas close to the city. If he expands into Tory country that may change and with any luck he will get kicked out of office.
    Not if he just gets Beeston and Hucknall as CBP suggest above. Would suit him nicely and would suit Kay Cutts equally nicely to have them out of the proposed County area. Nice little carve up between them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast