+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Dumfries , our town

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T Dumfries , our town

My sister who lives in Edinburgh but was brought up in Dumfries visited me recently and we were walking through the town. She was visibily upset at what she saw having not been ' doon hame' for a while. This got me thinking that locals only see a gradual deterioration where as visitors ( who know the area) see a massive difference. This certainly is not the bustling town I grew up in the 70s and my opinion is that the retail side has gone forever. Online shopping , out of town retail parks and trains rammed full of Doonhamers going to Carlisle to spend their hard earned money have seen to that . -----------The question now is what can be done to improve this very dire situation ? I remember a letter to the Standard around a month ago about this particular subject. This person said shopping was now dead and forget about it coming back because it aint. He/she suggested that the future of Dumfries was making the town centre a one of leisure/ entertainment for families. Sounded interesting to me . Thoughts ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 21-07-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)