+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derby 3 Soton 0

Derby 3 Soton 0

Soton avoided relegation last season on the penultimate day of the season. They have spent £45M on 4 players this summer. If they play like they did today, they might not be so lucky this season.

Derby? Avoided the individual mistakes that plagued us at Mansfield and we pressed Soton even harder than we were pressed by the Stags in the last 30 minutes on Wednesday.

If we play like this all season we will certainly be top 6 and ought to have a go at the auto places.

Carson (Roos, 72’) Carson had a good game. He did do a "Roos" at one point but got away with it. Roos showed enough to show that Wednesday's aberration isn't something he will be repeating on a regular basis

Wisdom (Bogle, 72’) Two mistakes from Wisdom but he solved one himself and the other led to nothing. Bogle again looked the business in his cameo.

Keogh (Hanson, 77’) Keogh looked far more settled than he was against the Stags. Hanson was steady when he came on and faultless

Davies (Pearce, 72’) Good. 2 hiccoughs that he got away with. Pearce is decent enough cover

Lowe (Bird, 69’) Man of the match performance, Tackled like a demon. Intercepted balls. Ran all over the place and he and Lawro worked brilliantly together down the left

Mount (Butterfield, 77’) Looked useful. One error early doors. Put through the middle by a Lowe pass we had 3 on 2 with Nuge left and Wilson right. Wilson should have been given an early pass. Mount ran and ran and was stopped by one of their centre halves. He looked good the rest of the time.

Ledley (Huddlestone, 63’) Sat in the middle and swept everything up as he does. Hudds did the same job but, IMO, better when he came on

Bryson (Johnson, 72’) Bryson is Bryson again for which I am grateful. Johnson to be a benchwarmer this season
    Wilson (Jozefzoon, 63’) Looked good. Both he and Mount will be even better once they have had time to used to their new colleagues and gaffer and system.

Nugent (Bennett, 72’) Nuge had a good game. Bennett came on and scored. Both will be in the matchday XVIII

Lawrence (Thomas, 72’) Lawrence had a great game, worked wonderfully well together with Lowe. Scored twice. Definite starter IMO. Thomas won't start but should be on the bench.

Basic thoughts are that the high intensity pressing game is great to watch. We press the opposition. We run and help each other, We tackle. We pass. It's mainly one and two touch football and Soton couldn't handle it.

We don't as yet know how the other 23 teams in the League are shaping up but DCFC are looking good.

I don't see us getting taken apart like we did in the last half hour by Mansfield. We won't have the same players on the park together. We will have learned from that and won't let the situation arise again. Pre season appears to be doing its job admirably.

This Ram is a happy one at the moment.

Only a friendly but was impressed watching the boys today. Thought Lowe linked up with Lawrence brilliantly. A good fast paced attacking style which I never ever saw while Rowett was here. Footballs coming home!

Good to watch is it away to win. Well it's frought with danger obviously but I think it's probably a throw away season so why not be entertained I can see a quite a few games finishing 3-2 to either side Lowe looks good attacking can he defend remains to be seen His main trouble is he always been a tackle away from injury Lawrence is a different player in this system this is now the player i knew he was under Mcarthy We obviously need a striker to play the system can't see Nugent playing 40 odd games Perfect system for Marriott go get him

Well at least it’s shut the Forest ****wits up for a bit. How did they do anyway? Oh yeah...scrambled last minute equaliser against recently relegated and demoralised League 2 Oldham...impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Good to watch is it away to win. Well it's frought with danger obviously but I think it's probably a throw away season so why not be entertained I can see a quite a few games finishing 3-2 to either side Lowe looks good attacking can he defend remains to be seen His main trouble is he always been a tackle away from injury Lawrence is a different player in this system this is now the player i knew he was under Mcarthy We obviously need a striker to play the system can't see Nugent playing 40 odd games Perfect system for Marriott go get him
    Did you see how often he got his foot in and took the ball of Soton players? That to me is the difference between Lowe the man and Lowe the boy. He seems to have learned the art of tackling.

Prior to the Soton game, we basically had the same players available as last season.

It seems that Lampard has managed to make a silk purse out of Rowett's sow's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Prior to the Soton game, we basically had the same players available as last season.

It seems that Lampard has managed to make a silk purse out of Rowett's sow's ear.
    Steady MA...grounds for optimism, nothing more at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Steady MA...grounds for optimism, nothing more at this stage.
    Apart from the individual errors, I also enjoyed the Mansfield game.

Win, lose or draw, we will see good football. Som YES, we have a silk purse compared to what we had last season. I will give GR some credit as we performed a lot better when he went 1-3-5-2.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Apart from the individual errors, I also enjoyed the Mansfield game.

Win, lose or draw, we will see good football. Som YES, we have a silk purse compared to what we had last season. I will give GR some credit as we performed a lot better when he went 1-3-5-2.

Or even 3-5-2

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Or even 3-5-2
    Why play without a keeper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)