+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Csaba Laszlo - should he go now (Yes or No)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    In my opinion the SPFL have devalued the League Cup by having it start in mid July. Why? What's the purpose of this? Couldn't these group games be played midweek early season? I just don't get it.
    I agree with this as well. It’s also been devalued by seeding sides.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMugs View Post
    Ram, normally I would agree about the sentiment with the cups, as I have always loved a good cup run, especially with some of the away days out of it I have had over the years.

But if it is a choice of cup runs or getting promoted (and going out in the 1st cup games), I will put aside any love for the cups for that.

Granted it's probably a very slim chance of promotion this season anyway

Double M, I can understand your sentiments and can't argue against the practicality of them, however, on this issue I am a 'want to eat my cake and still have it' man. Aren't we all like this to some degree when it comes to football?

In my opinion the SPFL have devalued the League Cup by having it start in mid July. Why? What's the purpose of this? Couldn't these group games be played midweek early season? I just don't get it.

Disagree, the changes to the league cup have been a really positive thing, we did just fine the last two years and they worked well as part of a competitive pre season, the fact Csaba has completely fkd it this season is the reason we are out, nothing else, how's failure

The only thing they have wrong is that you can be penalised for winning the group by being drawn away to the top seed that you finished above and already played away.. They need to charge it so you can't be drawn against a team from the samegroup in the first knockout round, not enough was made of that farce last season

Otherwise they have it spot on, including the draw in June on bt sport

The League Cup has certainly been devalued, but I'm not sure the mid-July start has much to do with it. After all, the cries for summer football in Scotland are often heard and from various quarters, during winter time whenever we have hard surfaces, unplayable conditions, postponements, etc.

I can remember the original format of the Scottish League Cup which to my mind had nothing wrong with it. The season kicked off at the beginning of August (I think?) with EVERY team in the old First and Second Divisions playing in the competition from the outset. There were 8 or 9 groups with two teams from each division in them, drawn not seeded. Six games were played, home AND away, every Saturday and Wednesday over the opening 3 weeks or so, with the winners going through to the knock out stages. Then began the league campaigns.

Here's what think goes a long way to devaluing the League Cup as a major tournament.

1) The top 4 teams in the Premier League given byes to the next round because of European Football commitments. They coped before!

2) Seeding. This goes a long way to killing the thrill of the draw.

3) Playing other teams in the group only once, rather than home and away as it should be in a proper group.

4) The removal of the European slot for winners of the tournament.

5) Shabba treating the competition as a pre-season warm-up.

6) Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician's absence from this board.

100%. It's actually worse for teams that have to start every season with multiple new players. ie us

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Have my doubts about it being an emergency meeting that took place. If there is a plan in place then they should all be on the same page and therefore no need for the meeting.
    Nah genuinely it was an emergency meeting.

Bit strange if we keep signing players? Anyway they might be brilliant in the end. Big risk 2 year contracts we stay down we have same cock to piss with go up err umm we may have hangers on.

New manager - we win european cup.

Just my completely irrational view of things.

Thanks for coming x

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    The League Cup has certainly been devalued, but I'm not sure the mid-July start has much to do with it. After all, the cries for summer football in Scotland are often heard and from various quarters, during winter time whenever we have hard surfaces, unplayable conditions, postponements, etc.

I can remember the original format of the Scottish League Cup which to my mind had nothing wrong with it. The season kicked off at the beginning of August (I think?) with EVERY team in the old First and Second Divisions playing in the competition from the outset. There were 8 or 9 groups with two teams from each division in them, drawn not seeded. Six games were played, home AND away, every Saturday and Wednesday over the opening 3 weeks or so, with the winners going through to the knock out stages. Then began the league campaigns.

Here's what think goes a long way to devaluing the League Cup as a major tournament.

1) The top 4 teams in the Premier League given byes to the next round because of European Football commitments. They coped before!

2) Seeding. This goes a long way to killing the thrill of the draw.

3) Playing other teams in the group only once, rather than home and away as it should be in a proper group.

4) The removal of the European slot for winners of the tournament.

5) Shabba treating the competition as a pre-season warm-up.

6) Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician's absence from this board.
    Thats a shabba post when 3 sentences would suffice.

So no reading it mate 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by shedboy71 View Post
    Bit strange if we keep signing players? Anyway they might be brilliant in the end. Big risk 2 year contracts we stay down we have same cock to piss with go up err umm we may have hangers on.

New manager - we win european cup.

Just my completely irrational view of things.

Thanks for coming x
    Nah it's the new 5 year plan 😅

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Nah genuinely it was an emergency meeting.
    What was the reason for the meeting? Just trying to understand the need for one if the team is working to the first part of an objective that sees us out this league.

I would hope that Shabba had permission from someone to treat the League Cup as warm up games and that person kept the board informed!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)