+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Board

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Doubt it I'd have gone to S2 before now if I wanted to move to another site I like it here in spite of the idiots that post on it

However if it shut down then I'd have to I suppose
    I doubt it would shut down but it could become a wasteland like the other boards on this network that doesn't have posters to keep it alive. I am very cautious into moving. I have been contributing to this site since Oct 2002 when I moved over from SportNetwork (now FootballNetwork) and haven't looked back since.

I do communicate with other editors and I know a few who have either moved onto a new site (either Interdependently or another network) or have retired from it altogether. I am not tempted to do the latter but have thought about an independent site. I have the know how to do so but not the funds to get it running off the ground. I enjoy it here but I too share the same frustrations as you guys - maybe even more because I communicate with them. I did email them a few days ago regarding the concerns over security and haven't received a reply so do not know if it has been read yet.

Well if it got up and running I'd be more inclined to give it a go if most were willing I joined originally cos you could move to other boards and chat have banter with rival clubs but I stopped doin that yrs ago so don't suppose there's any reason to stay other than it's easy to use if you can block the ads

Jostein got one up and running easy enough he just needed tighter control on who he allowed on,you can be a lot more strict on private sites like S2 are,havin read your reply I'd be much more likely to move

Computers have ears............was discussing yesterday buying some WD40 with the apray hose to loosen some windows........and lo and behold guess what is on my Taboola feed at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Well if it got up and running I'd be more inclined to give it a go if most were willing I joined originally cos you could move to other boards and chat have banter with rival clubs but I stopped doin that yrs ago so don't suppose there's any reason to stay other than it's easy to use if you can block the ads

Jostein got one up and running easy enough he just needed tighter control on who he allowed on,you can be a lot more strict on private sites like S2 are,havin read your reply I'd be much more likely to move
    I assume you are talking about an independent website. That costs ££ which i don't have. I wouldn't be able to make it advert free, though there would be too few ads to worry about. The message board would be incorporated into the site and wouldn't be part of a network, so little chance of opposition fans infecting the board so to speak (I've never minded those who want to join in and stick to the rules).

As for membership I would easily be able to keep a control on who is accepted and who isn't - i could create it so i have to accept them first. But this is only if it is independent and as I said funding is an issue as I wouldn't want web builders adverts everywhere.

At the moment, if I was looking to move it would possibly be to another network where you could move from board to board with your log in but the message board wouldn't be over ran with adverts but wouldn't be free from them either.

Quote Originally Posted by bladesmad View Post
    I don't know if these comments are aimed at myself, FootyMad themselves are anybody to be in-fact but it is quite clear that the network needs revenue to survive and other than making folks pay for the site - which they wouldn't then this is the only way. FM have people who work full time that these people need paying a wage just like you or I.

I have recently been asked to move to a different network and have been given it some thought but my answer would depend on folks coming across and supporting a new message board. I understand that people are loyal to Blades-Mad, as am I as I've been doing this for 16 years but sometimes a change is in order.

So it's up to you. Would you leave to join another network site?
    None of my own comments were aimed at you mate and I think we all know that you do your best and the issues are out of your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bladesmad View Post
    I assume you are talking about an independent website. That costs ££ which i don't have. I wouldn't be able to make it advert free, though there would be too few ads to worry about. The message board would be incorporated into the site and wouldn't be part of a network, so little chance of opposition fans infecting the board so to speak (I've never minded those who want to join in and stick to the rules).

As for membership I would easily be able to keep a control on who is accepted and who isn't - i could create it so i have to accept them first. But this is only if it is independent and as I said funding is an issue as I wouldn't want web builders adverts everywhere.

At the moment, if I was looking to move it would possibly be to another network where you could move from board to board with your log in but the message board wouldn't be over ran with adverts but wouldn't be free from them either.
    Most websites have Ads of some description as did my own, but the Ads on the FMN have been so aggressive and intrusive that they’ve stopped people visiting the site, hence nearly all the forums are now dead or dying.

I don’t know what idiots advise the owners on the web content, but any chance of them making any serious money from advertising ended years ago when they refused to heed our warnings. When the forums were busy, they could have simply signed up for Google Ads like I did which would have placed the odd Ad of interest to the user around the webpages, (maybe football related) without literally taking over the page and stopping people doing what they actually visit the FMN for. Reading about football and maybe making the odd contribution. Balmy!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Most websites have Ads of some description as did my own, but the Ads on the FMN have been so aggressive and intrusive that they’ve stopped people visiting the site, hence nearly all the forums are now dead or dying.

I don’t know what idiots advise the owners on the web content, but any chance of them making any serious money from advertising ended years ago when they refused to heed our warnings. When the forums were busy, they could have simply signed up for Google Ads like I did which would have placed the odd Ad of interest to the user around the webpages, (maybe football related) without literally taking over the page and stopping people doing what they actually visit the FMN for. Reading about football and maybe making the odd contribution. Balmy!
    Gray - can you tell me why I had an ad for WD40 on my taboola (see above post) - scary

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Gray - can you tell me why I had an ad for WD40 on my taboola (see above post) - scary
    You need to loosen up a bit Aya?

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    You need to loosen up a bit Aya?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Some hackers use viruses to take over the cameras and microphones to spy on people but apart from the pervs, it’s usually done to steal their card details when they’re using the computer to bury goods, not to flog WD40 . We had a case near us a couple of years ago. I didn’t sort it out myself but it resulted in me coming across several laptops with tape over the camera lense.

I doubt that it’s anything like that in your case though Aya. Are you sure you didn’t Google it even on your phone? Google would have remembered it and Companies like Taboola can use software to find out what people have been searching for. Deleting all your website history and data might help, but I’d guess it’s just a coincidence.

I’d test it again though, talk about Wednesday and see if they try to flog you bacon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast