+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Dumfries Factory

Abandoned Dumfries Factory

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post

Who owns that building now ? Is it still a listed building

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Who owns that building now ? Is it still a listed building
    I had heard that the facade ( Edinburgh Road side) was a listed building because of historical interest. Originally the site of the Arrol Johnstone Car Factory etc. Of course, Arrol Johnstone is one of the founding members of our club Qos.

I had heard that the facade ( Edinburgh Road side) was a listed building because of historical interest. Originally the site of the Arrol Johnstone Car Factory etc. Of course, Arrol Johnstone is one of the founding members of our club Qos.

It’s an eyesore now , needs knocked down but who’s going to pay for that JRS

Well, thats the big question. I'm not sure who owns the site but it is a dangerous place for children to play in and I'm sure they do. If someone gets hurt then I dont know who would be liable either . The ground is likely to be contaminated with chemicals so that complicates it even more. Generations of locals from all over the region worked here . Among the products made were the famous Hunter welly boots, carpet underlay, golf balls, bathing caps, drive belts, industrial flooring and even diving suits . This just of the top of my head. There will be more
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 22-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.

How did these people get in to film it as it’s all boarded up is it not ?

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    How did these people get in to film it as it’s all boarded up is it not ?
    Theres only a metal fence around part of the perimeter of the factory grounds. Easily got through.

Theres only a metal fence around part of the perimeter of the factory grounds. Easily got through.

yep spot on jr the young ones were playing about in it ,the community wardens were hovering about for a while around it and patching up holes in the fences and blocking of the front ,it came up in the locharbriggs community news that the locals were wanting it knocked down as it would be a good site for a major supermarket as all the supermarkets are at other side of town ,surely with the sizes of locharbriggs and heathhall there should be one and that would be the perfect location between the two .

Francis, - that's a really good shout.

The major problem with any industrial site though is the pollution within the soil and I would imagine that the costs to clear that up would be prohibitive.

These are the factors that are little known or understood, - and even to create something as simple as a park and ride facility would incur huge costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)