+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan’s starting eleven

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Probably why Toots was knackered, doing the running for two down that right flank!
    Exactly

Everyone would rather put the boot into Toots though.

Boldewjin's first touch is awful. Crawley fans have said on Twitter that when he's good he's good , when he's bad, he's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Boldewjin's first touch is awful. Crawley fans have said on Twitter that when he's good he's good , when he's bad, he's really bad.
    I’m sure he tripped over the ball Saturday..with his first touch of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH View Post
    I’m sure he tripped over the ball Saturday..with his first touch of the game.
    He was poor on Saturday, but I dont think we will ever see the best of wingers against a Prem team, just not gonna happen. Thomas wasnt able to get into the game much either.
    Im sure against league 2 opposition both of these guys will come into their own

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I can not honestly believe some of the opinions on here. Tootle had a tough game on Saturday, he was definitely playing with fatigue, blowing out of his backside after about half an hour.
    Hewitt was one of our best players last season, and looked very good on Saturday. Breaking play up and passing with composure.
    Dongde He certainly looks a good prospect. However, I saw no evidence of a final ball, whether a pass, cross or shot on Saturday. He certainly plays with confidence. Is he ready? For me not yet.
    4th August line up..
    Fitz
    Toots
    Hall
    Duffy
    Jones

Kellett
    Vaughan
    Hewitt
    Boldewijn

Stead
    Hemmings
    Wow, what's that strange noise I hear? Could it be a sense of reality kicking in? The only position I find open to question in your starting XI is Kellett. I think Nolan may stick with Thomas, but I'm 50/50 on that and wouldn't be disappointed with either. Those calling for youth team players to start on the opening day really do make me wonder. I can't wait to see more of Dongda He but he is nowhere near a starting place. I remember a bloke a couple of rows behind on Saturday me saying "who's the number 20, he's useless" just before he went on that amazing run! He's far from useless, but he is still just raw material and has an awful lot to learn. I'm still waiting for Mr Balti Pie to give his reasons as to why Alex Howes merits a starting place, but I suspect I may be in for a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Those calling for youth team players to start on the opening day really do make me wonder. I can't wait to see more of Dongda He but he is nowhere near a starting place.
    That's not the attitude that got Draper, Yates and Johnson into the team. Look, it's Division 4 and if he doesn't shine then we have 3 subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    That's not the attitude that got Draper, Yates and Johnson into the team. Look, it's Division 4 and if he doesn't shine then we have 3 subs.
    That reply assumes that the likes of Dongda He and Howes are of similar calibre to the likes of Draper, Yates and Johnson. I really, really hope that they are, but that's an extremely high bar to set. To suggest that either are ready to make the starting XI reminds me of a post made by someone last season when we were in a bad spell. Their suggestion was that we drop the entire first team and play the youth team instead on the basis that "they can't be any worse". Of course they could have been worse, and without doubt they would have been worse. I think I much prefer to leave it to Kevin Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That reply assumes that the likes of Dongda He and Howes are of similar calibre to the likes of Draper, Yates and Johnson. I really, really hope that they are, but that's an extremely high bar to set. To suggest that either are ready to make the starting XI reminds me of a post made by someone last season when we were in a bad spell. Their suggestion was that we drop the entire first team and play the youth team instead on the basis that "they can't be any worse". Of course they could have been worse, and without doubt they would have been worse. I think I much prefer to leave it to Kevin Nolan.
    Well, we could all leave it to Kevin Nolan and then we wouldn't need threads like this. I deliberately put forward a team to cause discussion, that's all. I didn't think it would cause outrage. I wouldn't necessary pick that team, I said I liked the anticlough 4-3-3 one with Kellett. But then where does Husin play, or any of the other midfielders we've brought in like Crawford, Patching, Ox.

I sometimes worry if KN is brave enough to pick these lads. I know he's a safe pair of hands, but he has to be more adventurous. I don't want him sacked, before further outrage ensues, I just want him to learn from last season and progress. It has to be a little different this year else the end result will be the same. He'll go 4-4-2 with Stead, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    Assuming everyone is fit, Dennis and Hemmings will start ahead of Stead.

Ross
    Tootle Hall Duffy Jones
    Enzio Hewitt Vaughan Thomas
    Dennis Hemmings

Keeper is my only worry.
    Tootle and Jones more than league 2 capable, save for Jones being injury prone and no obvious back up (Kellett?)
    Hall was a level above against Leicester and will keep Brisley out of the side with those performances. Cant see him being here for a season to sit on the bench.
    Hewitt will be the legs to Vaughans quality, and Eznio and Thomas are both capable of unlocking teams.
    Dennis and Hemmings more than capable of scoring their share, with Stead and Allesandra, Campbel, all decent back ups.

Kellett in reserve is a good option for a few positions, and I honestly think, once fit, Patching will be right in their to push Hewitt aside.
    That’ll be most likely the team but I’d want Kellet to start instead of Thomas, and Brisley to start instead of Duffy. A different goalie altogether would be nice as well.

Whatever the side, Colchester have made some decent signings and it’ll be a tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    He'll go 4-4-2 with Stead, btw.
    I agree, and judging from what I've seen pre-season (all 4 games) that has to be the sensible option. I really hope Nolan does all he can to bring the young players forward this season, but to suggest they merit a starting place on the first day is lunacy in my opinion*.

* That opinion is based on discussion rather than outrage. I'm basically a logical sort of person, I leave outrage to the drama queens.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast