+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan’s starting eleven

Whether it's a wise move or not, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nolan favour either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 this season, at least to start with. I think he's leaning towards having that extra man in midfield, and with the type of personnel we've got in that position now, it would be understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    .............. Fitz...........
    Tootle....Hall... Duffy... Jones

Thomas.. Hewitt.. Vaughn....Boldwyjn

..........Dennis..... Hemmings
    ^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The thing that is irritating me a little is the conundrum over Husin. I honestly believe there is a truly talented footballer in there somewhere, unfortunately the only position he is really suited to is that of Vaughan's. I really hope he doesn't get overlooked as the season goes on. Mind you I would venture that Vaughan will be crocked by October anyway.
    I agree. Husin has something very rare for this level - comfort and time on the ball. Sure, he's sometimes too laid back, but his quality is there for all to see. I would be gutted if he sat out this season on the bench and then disappeared next summer. The problem is, where do we play him? I'm not convinced he's a 4-4-2 type of CM. He'd be ideal in a 5-man midfield, but it's not easy to make that work either.

[QUOTE=Chicken Balti Pie;38953571]Quite easily. I think it's unanimous that Hewitt can't defend

Unanimous???????? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I agree. Husin has something very rare for this level - comfort and time on the ball. Sure, he's sometimes too laid back, but his quality is there for all to see. I would be gutted if he sat out this season on the bench and then disappeared next summer. The problem is, where do we play him? I'm not convinced he's a 4-4-2 type of CM. He'd be ideal in a 5-man midfield, but it's not easy to make that work either.
    I would like to see the 5 man midfield given a try and completely agree about Husin. How about:

Fitz

Hall Duffy Brisley

Tootle Husin Vaughan Hewitt Boldewijn

Hemmings Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    I would like to see the 5 man midfield given a try and completely agree about Husin. How about:

Fitz

Hall Duffy Brisley

Hemmings Dennis
    Careful you will get stoned for suggesting something other than 4-4-2!

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post

Fitz

Hall Duffy Brisley

Hemmings Dennis
    Maybe I'm wrong and he has in some phase of one of the friendlies (?), but I'm surprised that shape hasn't at least been tried outside training ground. Maybe worth a half against Luton?

To be fair to Stead he's probably played his way in to keeping his spot in the team during pre season and with Dennis not being match fit I don't think anyone should complain about his inclusion... They absolutely will though...

When everyone is fit I'd like to see

Fitz
    Tootle Hall Duffy Jones
    Hewitt Vaughan Patching/Crawford (If they're actually any good)
    Hemmings Dennis Boldewijn

Basically I'd like to see a 3 man midfield but I'm not sure who would suit Vaughan and Hewitt the best, I rate Husin but I think he's similar to Vaughan, just younger, (and not as good yet) so having both in the team wouldn't work, hopefully he comes in when Vaughan is inevitably unfit and makes the shirt his own.

I think we will line up against Colchester with;

Fitzsimons
    Tootle Brisley/Hall Duffy Jones
    Thomas Hewitt Vaughan Boldewijn
    Hemmings Stead

Unless Dennis is fit and ready to go but unless he looks great in whatever friendlies we have left I'm not sure I'd rush him anyway.

That would leave a bench with (hopefully)
    Pindroch
    Brisley/Hall (whoever doesn't start)
    Kellett
    Husin
    Alessandra
    Dongda (but probably more likely Hawkridge, maybe Remaye Campbell)
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by magicianpie View Post
    Careful you will get stoned for suggesting something other than 4-4-2!
    You might have to be stoned to pick Boldewijn at wing back.

I can't see Nolan switching to a back 5 ( or 3). Firstly, we don't have the mobile centre halves you'd need for that system - I can't see Brisley or Duffy playing anything other than the middle of the 3, and we then have no cover for injuries/suspensions. Secondly Tootle hasn't got the pace or quality of delivery to play wing back. Thirdly we've spent a fortune on 2 forwards and Boldewijn, plus Thomas. Why do that if you're planning a formation where you can't play them all? Fourthly he has never deviated from a back 4. Fifthly you really couldn't play Husin and Vaughan in front of 3 centre halves, let alone Hewitt as well.

The 5-2-1-2 formation worked well for Allardyce in this league, but he had Finnan and Pearce at wing backs, the vastly experienced Robson in the creative number 10 position and 2 midfielders who could get up and down the pitch. We just don't have the players to do that. He's built a squad for 4-4-2. He tried that bizarre 4-1-3-1-1 formation last season and it was a disaster, costing us 2 home games. I can see him being tempted by 4-5-1 but please not at home.

I'm still seeing very few people with Kellett in their line ups. The club is on record as saying he was the one who got away in a previous window, and they chased him twice. I don't think they did that to put him on the bench. He didn't appear much in the PSFs because of injury, but when he came on against Leicester, he looked good. So, assuming the club didn't bring these players in for the sake of it and that they actually want to improve on last year, I reckon people are going to have to reassess their commitment to sacred cows like Hewitt. He will contribute, but why would he be automatic first choice, and if he is, why would the midfield be any better than last year? Maybe a change of formation is the answer if he really is undroppable.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast