+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: O/T Rotherham characters past and present

Anybody remember Battler?....the one armed cricket umpire?

Worked at BSC Parkgate - retired late 70's. A real character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Kempo
    Nice one Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Anybody remember Battler?....the one armed cricket umpire?

Worked at BSC Parkgate - retired late 70's. A real character.
    Yes I remember him when I was playing for Rotherham Phoenix.
    When he signalled for a 6 the scorer used to write 3 😊

Don't know it we are all talking about the same fellow, but late 60's, an old man used to appear from no where in the kids corner at half-time. He gave everyone a verbal hammering, what ever the state of the game was. But, he saved most of his vitriol for the poor old ref. Seem to remember that his favourite call was .""Referee, you need an 'L' on your back".

Bloke who used to stand just inside Enclosure turnstile entrance for many years , selling Golden Goal tickets, shouting "Golden Goal" very loudly. Nothing unusual in that you might think, but he had a broad Welsh (Swansea?) accent.

I remember a bloke who was always sat around the bus bit in Wath. I used to pass through every day on my way to college so going back 20 years or so.
    He looked a bit like bob marley but I'm not sure whether he was black or just filthy?
    I think he always had a guitar with him too.

Saw the lady known as 'Vinegar Liz' quite often walking through Clifton Park when i wes a kid in the early 70's. She was very old then. My mum said she had been a piano teacher in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I remember a bloke who was always sat around the bus bit in Wath. I used to pass through every day on my way to college so going back 20 years or so.
    He looked a bit like bob marley but I'm not sure whether he was black or just filthy?
    I think he always had a guitar with him too.
    Micky Newman.

He's mixed-race, his Mum is black his Dad is a white millionaire (according to him anyway).

You always used to bump into him in casualty at RDGH as well.

He used to get on buses and start singing.

Still around but whizzing about in a mobility scooter these days due to his dodgy leg.

Apparently he was once a hairdresser but had an accident and got addicted to drugs/ alcohol.
    Last edited by great_fire; 02-08-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567