+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Hopscotch in Rotherham in the Fifties...

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Those were the days. Certainly remember hopscotch though it was more popular with girls than boys. Other games I remember from the playground are "Finger, thumb or dumb".
    That's Husty Busty as mentioned in the article I posted, least I hope it is.

Everything about that game sounds a bit wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    That's Husty Busty as mentioned in the article I posted, least I hope it is.

Everything about that game sounds a bit wrong.
    The description of Husty Busty in the article sounded a lot like, "Tiggy Bob Down" as well - another dubious game, when you think about it, involving heads up backsides and one team jumping on another's backs...

Thanks, C64F!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Those were the days. Certainly remember hopscotch though it was more popular with girls than boys. Other games I remember from the playground are "Finger, thumb or dumb" and "You show me yours, I'll show you mine" (More popular with boys than with girls. In fact it was quite difficult to get girls to partake - too busy playing hopscotch and skipping.).
    Kind of lost the point if the girls wouldn't take part in the "showing" thing, I'd say. (Certainly don't recall playing it with just boys...)

I remember playing hopscotch up East Herringthorpe, it wasn’t just the girls up there.
    Also Peggy, where you’d balance a stick on the edge of a kerb, then flick it up with another stick and whack it as far as possible to score runs across the road between kerbs until somebody brought it back.

Great fun, but stink finger was my favourite lol
    Last edited by sota; 25-07-2018 at 07:11 PM.

My upbringing just over the border, the finger thumb game was “finger, thumb, rusty bum” and relievo was “deleevo”

The school had a playground set high up with a 7 foot drop to the pavement. So the open air boys bogs had a wall that could be pissed over, thus catching passers by unawares. So highest up the wall was the school trademark game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12