+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have we got a Match Thread tonight?

Only a friendly I know, but have to be happy to have come from a goal down to win against decent opposition - good for morale and fitness too.

Question is: are we better than two years ago? Or as good as the first season in the Champ with Evans?

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Only a friendly I know, but have to be happy to have come from a goal down to win against decent opposition - good for morale and fitness too.

Question is: are we better than two years ago? Or as good as the first season in the Champ with Evans?
    Age wise we are better
    Moral is better
    Team spirit better
    Defence (remains to be seen still)
    Midfield is better
    Strikers are better
    Goalkeepers are better
    Training facility are better

Our transfer budget looks worse though

So that would imply that the recruitment guy we hired is doing a great job?

In my view there were a number of regular failings last time we were in the Championship

We gave the ball away far too easily. The opposition didn’t win it, we gave it up with sloppy passing

Our defence was often beaten by speedier players. Our defence allowed the opposition to place the ball in the gaps between centre back and full back to allow nippy wide players to get behind our back 4

We chopped and changed players and formations far to often.

Our set piece plays were abysmal, lump it into the box was the only tactic.

We were far to nice, even when genuinely fouled we tried to carry on.

Have we changed?

Don’t know to be honest.

Palmer was man of match for me. Best I've seen him play. I thought when they scored they might have gone on to win 3 OR 4 nil. But Millers got better as game went along. We still seemed weak defensively down our own right hand side.But enough there to say we have a fighting chance of staying up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    In my view there were a number of regular failings last time we were in the Championship

We gave the ball away far too easily. The opposition didn’t win it, we gave it up with sloppy passing

Probably still the same. Palmer is a tidy passer but can get caught in possession, Vaulks still capable of hammering a pass into touch.

Our defence was often beaten by speedier players. Our defence allowed the opposition to place the ball in the gaps between centre back and full back to allow nippy wide players to get behind our back 4

Not sure about this one. Ajayi definitely has pace, but our defence is still probably one of the slowest in the league. Can't see Wood playing much now Raggett is here, too.

We chopped and changed players and formations far to often.

Don't think this is such an issue. Think we're pretty set with a way of playing now.

Our set piece plays were abysmal, lump it into the box was the only tactic.

Statistically by far the best team in the league at attacking set pieces last year, must have been top 3 in the entire FL too. Raggett is another battering ram which will help. Need to work on defending them, though.

We were far to nice, even when genuinely fouled we tried to carry on.

Think we're a lot smarter with this now. We played the conditions very well last year.

Have we changed?

Don’t know to be honest.
    ^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123