+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Bennett

The case with him has always been "If he can stay fit...", the problem is so far in his career he hasn't been able to. I think it's fairly obvious he would be a great option to have here if he could stay injury free but if he'd been staying injury free there is no way he would still be in a situation where a loan to a League 2 club is on the cards for him imo.

Him signing would also drop Remaye Campbell down the pecking order... But that could mean a loan for him and more first team games elsewhere than if he was sat on our bench.

This, I imagine if we were to sign him we would need to offer some guarantees about playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    We probably do need another forward and Bennett would be a good addition. I'd imagine though that Derby would want him to start and not be a bench warmer.

Is he really the risk most posters think he is? He seems to have survived Derby's pre-season schedule without damage, I would chance him on a short term loan with the option.

Whether Nolly would bring him back given the chance is unclear as he has stated that he is interested in signing only "a special one" and I don't think that is Mason Bennett, that's only my opinion, Nolly's may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    This, I imagine if we were to sign him he would need to offer some guarantees about playing time.

Corrected that

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Provided he is fit, he’d be a valuable addition to the squad. It might be that he’d spend quite a bit of time on the subs bench, but he could prove a major threat coming on during the second half. In the modern game, it’s more or less normal to replace one or both strikers after 65/70 minutes and Bennett could do this to effect.
    I agree. We have what look like two decent strikers now but you need a striker on the bench who can change a game and I can't see that at the moment. Bennett would be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Agree, the further away Stead is from the starting 11 the better!
    It's a "yes please" from me, but why the dig at Stead is he the latest scapegoat? I think that if you asked Stead if he thought he was any good playing the lone striker/target man that has been asked of him in the past he would admit not, but being a true professional he always gives 100%. IF we have a change of formation this season & actually employ a couple of wingers who know how to cross a ball, Stead could yet have a big part to play.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    It's a "yes please" from me, but why the dig at Stead is he the latest scapegoat? I think that if you asked Stead if he thought he was any good playing the lone striker/target man that has been asked of him in the past he would admit not, but being a true professional he always gives 100%. IF we have a change of formation this season & actually employ a couple of wingers who know how to cross a ball, Stead could yet have a big part to play.
    He always gives 100% but so did Paul Bolland and he wasn't any good either. Last year was a year too far for Stead (take away his pens and he scored 6), this year it's going to be embarrassing if he spends much time on the pitch. The problem is, he's third choice striker which means he'll get plenty of game time to scuff one on ones and roll around on the floor not winning headers.

When I say he should be not near the first team, it's not a dig but a commentary on how his skills have faded, it's not a comment on his effort that can not be questioned

Jon Stead last season, 9 goals in the League, 4 goals in the FA Cup and 9 assists across all competitions. So he had a direct hand in 22 goals, all this considering he received sh1t service and spent most of his time as a loan striker.

I'm not saying he should start ahead of Hemmings and Dennis but let's not discount the contribution he can still have if/when needed this season, even if it is his last.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Jon Stead last season, 9 goals in the League, 4 goals in the FA Cup and 9 assists across all competitions. So he had a direct hand in 22 goals, all this considering he received sh1t service and spent most of his time as a loan striker.

I'm not saying he should start ahead of Hemmings and Dennis but let's not discount the contribution he can still have if/when needed this season, even if it is his last.
    No silly, you have to skew the stats in your favour to suit your agenda and hope nobody checks to see if they're correct or not.

Disregarding his penalties is ridiculous by the way, they all count the same on the scoreboard.

Mason is miles better than any of our current forwards. It's a no-brainer for me. He is a game changer and would be the best striker/winger in our league.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast