+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missed target

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Clearly Barnsley have more cash to play with than we do despite now being a division lower. Having said that, most transfer fees these days, especially outside the top flight, are undisclosed. Highly unusual for clubs to say they're buying a player for £X amount before a deal is done. That just invites other clubs to step in and bid higher, as Rotherham have learned the hard way over the years.
    If it's true then we should simply offer £350k and offer the lad an extra 500 quid a week more than whatever Barnsley are offering. And keep it quiet.

From what I heard, we had already had an offer accepted for Towell a couple of weeks ago and it was less than £300k. Wages were the only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Clearly Barnsley have more cash to play with than we do despite now being a division lower. Having said that, most transfer fees these days, especially outside the top flight, are undisclosed. Highly unusual for clubs to say they're buying a player for £X amount before a deal is done. That just invites other clubs to step in and bid higher, as Rotherham have learned the hard way over the years.
    If it's true then we should simply offer £350k and offer the lad an extra 500 quid a week more than whatever Barnsley are offering. And keep it quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dantpen View Post
    From what I heard, we had already had an offer accepted for Towell a couple of weeks ago and it was less than £300k. Wages were the only problem.
    I heard we had agreed a fee and wages but there is a clause in towell contract which he is agreed a certain percentage of the fee.

Brighton came back to rotherham asking if they would pay a extra 10k towards the fee but the club pulled the plug saying it wasn't value for money

I always find it amazing how there are always people in the know. Barnsley! Not value for money for an extra 10 grand. I don’t think so. A player who still calls Paul Warne gaffer.

The only issue I can recall was that his family were settled in the south but to make out that we are cheapskates especially for a player of this high quality is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    I always find it amazing how there are always people in the know. Barnsley! Not value for money for an extra 10 grand. I don’t think so. A player who still calls Paul Warne gaffer.

The only issue I can recall was that his family were settled in the south but to make out that we are cheapskates especially for a player of this high quality is ridiculous.
    The proof of the pudding will be if he signs for Barnsley, then we are officially cheapskates.

The account that started this is a spoof one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post

If I remember right, Nardendee, his wife actually preferred living in Sheffield to Brighton. Could help us, that.

There's 0% chance Towell goes to Barnsley. He only dropped down to L1 on loan with us because Brighton were still paying 2/3rds of his wages. He wants to play international football, and he knows that he can't do that in L1. If he doesn't go to us he might end up at a different Championship club, but definitely not Barnsley.

Spot on. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123