+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT- Best autobiographies

OT- Best autobiographies

Just struggled through Grahame Swanns, one big yawn, no scandal, no gossip and he doesn't slag anyone off, well, not really.

Bothams wasn't bad, whose is the best sporting biography you have read?

Geoff Boycott, George Best and Jackie Charlton were very good reads.

I've just started Roy Kean's

Les Bradd’s was worth a read 👍

From a business perspective I actually found both Alan Sugar and Duncan Bannatyne interesting reads, especially the bit in Sugar's where he had to sack a certain Ardiles at Spurs after they got a spanking in the league Cup in 1994 . . . he he he

Howard Webb's 'Man in the Middle' is worth a read. Has more than a bit to say about Kevin Nolan and frankly reveals about nasty in-fighting between top refs. Players he likes and those he can't stand are also revealed: Liked Nolan and Robby Savage because they were honest to his face, Bellamy he saw as an absolute s h i t.
    He's also candid about his f-up in the World Cup Final of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Just struggled through Grahame Swanns, one big yawn, no scandal, no gossip and he doesn't slag anyone off, well, not really.

Bothams wasn't bad, whose is the best sporting biography you have read?
    I agree with Swann's being nothing special. KP's was slightly more interesting.

A tenuous link to sport I admit but I have recently read Bruce Dickinson's and thoroughly enjoyed it (met him at Waterstones to get it signed).
    Rock singer, pilot and very good fencer with some funny and tragic stories - he tells it like he's speaking to you over a pint.
    I don't think you'd need to be a fan of Iron Maiden, flying or fencing to enjoy it.

Ooh Ha Stantona - Phil Stants autobiography. Mixture of his time in the army ( including The Falklands ) and his time as a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Howard Webb's 'Man in the Middle' is worth a read. Has more than a bit to say about Kevin Nolan and frankly reveals about nasty in-fighting between top refs. Players he likes and those he can't stand are also revealed: Liked Nolan and Robby Savage because they were honest to his face, Bellamy he saw as an absolute s h i t.
    He's also candid about his f-up in the World Cup Final of 2010.
    Thanks Sid, - I'll find a copy and give that a read. I once had the pleasure of giving Howard Webb a CD of Thurcroft Welfare Band at some "do" or other we were at in Rotherham. I bet he was chuffed to bits with that.

Not sure about the best autobiography, but I can name the worst I've come across, - Stanley Matthews.

I really enjoyed Les Bradd’s but the best was Harpo Marx’s. One of the funniest books I’ve ever read.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast