+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New season coming soon....

New season coming soon....

The website is quiet- is nobody getting excited/nervous/full of dread about the coming season? Just 10 more days!!!!
    I suppose some people gorged themselves on the World Cup and are not so ready for a new season. For me, its the next big landmark date (closely followed by my voluntary redundancy!!!).
    So...we haven't lost any players; we've retained the good loanees from last season; our potential stars have stayed- all of which points to a period of stability (as long as Miller is not seriously injured). Therefore we have no excuses for not competing. Whether our lot will fulfill their promise is to be seen.
    So what are your expectations for the coming season.
    For me, I think between 8th and tenth in League 2
    Not getting past the group stage of the Checkatrade
    3rd round of League Cup
    3rd round of FA Cup

Any takers on these???
    Give us your thoughts.

New Seasons are always a leap into the unknown, potentially we have a team capable of the play offs but we concede too many goals and don't score enough, has that been resolved? I think all anyone can be sure of is it can't be as bad as last season, we have a settled squad and some decent players. We have not had to rebuild and we have not had an exodus of experienced players. There is a lot of room for optimism.

For me we will finish 7th or 8th.
    2nd round Caraboa Cup.
    3rd round FA Cup.
    Wont get past group stage in checkatrade.
    Its only the league that matters

I think around 10th or 11th is a reasonable expectation. Our inability to keep the ball out of our own net will prove to be a stumbling block to real progress. Hopefully we score lots of goals along the way with youngsters Kirk, Ainley or Jones heavily involved...

I would like a decent FA cup this year, seems ages since we've played a decent side or had any sort of run in any competition. Would brighten up the season, put a few players in the shop window and bring in some much needed cash.

Can't wait for it to start!

I’m just looking forward to a stress-free season with the sort of entertaining football we played after Christmas last season. As for predictions, and trying to take into account the bigger spenders in the Division, I reckon somewhere between 7th and 10th would be feasible plus at least the 3rd round in one of the cups. As for the Checkatrade, apart from ‘who cares?’ then if we get out of the group then go for it - not bothered if we don’t get out of the group, though.

A stress free season for me too. No flirtation with the relegation places. Rather, further signs of improvement as DA builds a side capable of challenging for the playoff places. The younger players will have more experience and there are a number of experienced players around them in the squad and on the pitch. Not too bothered about the cups, but it would be nice to have a decent run in one tournament. Also, I hope this season sees the departure of our majority shareholder.

I'd like to see a steady improvement under DA, and a comfortable mid-table finish. We still have gaps in quality which we need to bridge before we can consider ourselves contenders.
    Can't see past Mk Dons or Lincoln for the title.

I'm going for top 3!!!
    Playoffs minimum.

Has anyone heard the latest regarding Shaun Miller's injury, please? I believe that he was supposed to go for a scan sometime last week. He could be a key to our possible success this season.

Can't quite see the reasons for optimism on here. We finshed last season in the bottom half. Close season we have released our only fullback and a forward who can score goals. We have also returned off-loan a successful loanee at RB. We have signed 2 ex-loanees, one in Midfield and one Forward (both of whom I think are good signings), and one forward from a relegated team.
    On the positive side our youngsters have gained an extra seasons experience and growth.

I think we will struggle again this season and forecast a finishing position of around 18th - although I do not see us flirting quite as close to relagation as last season.

As for cups: FA Cup: Round 3
    League Cup: Round 2
    The other one: Successful failure in the group stage.

We also played large part of the season without Jones and Ray. Wintle also missing for a significant number of games. When these players returned, the results improved.
    Nolan was moved from full back to CH and became player of the season.
    Not sure Dagnall will be missed.
    Time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast