+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our midfield if we end up short.

Our midfield if we end up short.

...we have Palmer and Vaulks as natural cms both decent but we need some more bodies to cover em/ encourage em to play well. Failing getting anyone else in the other options we have are using wiles, ajayi, williams, Jones. I will rule out Newell because i dont think he plays well there. Wiles could be ok but its a lot to put on young shoulders in the championship. Jones has played there before and could do a job as a sitting midfielder. Likewise Ajayi who did some decent cameo roles in that position. Williams could be ok as an attacking midfielder. A new attacking and defensive midfielder would be better though.

I hope we see more of Wiles this season. Even if it's only cameos from the bench.

I think Warne knows we may well get overrun if the opposition puts 5 across the middle - so, in short, the status quo is inviting problems that are avoidable

Quote Originally Posted by dantpen View Post
    I hope we see more of Wiles this season. Even if it's only cameos from the bench.
    Should start with simple pencil sketches then work up to full portraits in oils

Ajayi can't pass/hold possession very well, Williams can't tackle very well and has not looked good when played centrally. TS will have to get the chequebook out for a central midfielder if necessary, if we can't get Towell and the kid from Forest. We are not going to be able to bluff our way through at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    ...we have Palmer and Vaulks as natural cms both decent but we need some more bodies to cover em/ encourage em to play well. Failing getting anyone else in the other options we have are using wiles, ajayi, williams, Jones. I will rule out Newell because i dont think he plays well there. Wiles could be ok but its a lot to put on young shoulders in the championship. Jones has played there before and could do a job as a sitting midfielder. Likewise Ajayi who did some decent cameo roles in that position. Williams could be ok as an attacking midfielder. A new attacking and defensive midfielder would be better though.
    Palmer and Vaulks might be our only 2 central midfielders, but they couldn't be more different. Palmer would be ,in American football, the quarterback, and Vaulks would be the protector of the quarterback, (apologies as I don't know the exact term)
    In their own stiles, one couldn't play without the other, as palmer couldn't win the ball that Vaulks could, but neither could Vaulks spray the pass that palmer could.
    I do believe that either Ajayi or Jones could play the ball winning central midfielder that is Vaulks (Although not play it as well) but in my mind we definitely need another more creative central midfielder, especially at this level.
    Just a shot in the dark for a more older player, and apologies if he's already found another club, but Steve Sidwell, fits my bill?

Hope we don't have to take on an out of contract, unfit journeyman because the door closes on our current options.
    Remember odemwingie

Adjayi has played the old Greg Hanford role of sitting in front of the defence which Kevin Blackwell set up for us. We were solid then.

I think Semi has only done this by coming on as a late sub though and not for 95 mins
    Last edited by flourbasher; 26-07-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Barnsley have allegedly just spent a big transfer fee on Dougal from Sparta Rotterdam, so might not be able to make any other big signings (by our standards anyway). Makes Towell to Barnsley rumour more unlikely, though not impossible. Weren't the Dutch team of the 1970s nicknamed the "Magic Roundabout" because they could interchange positions so easily?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 26-07-2018 at 05:19 PM.

UPDATE - Warney has just been on Radio DeeDah. We'e still trying to get Towell back.

Cardiff City have received enquiries for Lee Tomlin, Anthony Pilkington and Omar Bogle, but Neil Warnock has revealed the players may not leave until the last day of the window.

"We've had one or two enquiries, that will all come up I would imagine and liven up in the next three weeks," he told Wales Online.

"Especially when I announce my squad on the 9th (of August), the Football League have got another two or three weeks so I think a lot of them will be waiting until deadline as always."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast