+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Physio

What most fans also forget is that, if and when an amount of time is given for a player being out, it never comes directly from the physio. It comes from the manager (who may have been given a range different alternatives but hasn't put all the information into an interview), from a journalist (who will look at averages and not have any real knowledge of the specifics of the player's injury) or from social media (don't really need to say much here)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    See this talk of Fyvie coming back early, it's all well and good but I'll be pissed off if he makes the bench without even featuring first for the reserves. Just look at Keatings last season. We have the reserve league back so let's use it to build up match fitness gradually and get the players back good and ready. I've had enough of this kiddy on nature when they are back supposedly only to break down shortly afterwards.
    What happens if they break they down in the reserve league?

Quote Originally Posted by JuanShoe View Post
    What happens if they break they down in the reserve league?
    I would say the reserve league doesn't hold as much of importance than a first team game. I'm hoping that not one player breaks down but the common sense of gradually building up a players match fitness in the reserves as done many years ago has to be far better than what has gone for the last number of years. Players brought back with no game time and expected to perform in the first team right away. In the case of Keatings it has done more harm than good imo.

keen to see the reserves. In fact would prefer to tbh

Are they playing the reserve games at Tannadice?

no doubt it.

Such a shame if they don’t play the games at Tannadice, playing there, at home should be a given for the reserves, so when they get called up to the first team they are already accustomed to the ground and potentially less overawed by the occasion. Also, I’m sure more fans would turn up at the games which then helps young players and fans connect more, all to the great benefit to the club.

Meanwhile the pitch gets fkd. Perhaps they should play the odd bigger game there?

Depends on what the physios re-mit is. Are they the person who says player X can't play today as he is not fit, or is he asked to give a percentage of likelihood of recurrence and the management team then make a calculated gamble decision? Bear in mind we also have a club doctor and a fitness coach so we should be able to get them all together to make informed decisions on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and recovery. However if they are providing updates on treatment and saying he can play but theres a 25% chance he'll break down and the manager is taking that risk then IMO that's the player and managers fault.

Too often I feel we rush players back and they break down again immediately. This is my big fear with Fyvie being "ahead of schedule"

The reality is no-one knows the ins and outs of how the medical/fitness dept at Tannadice works, so it is wild and baseless speculation. You also need to factor in that people here are 100% focussing on negative cases and not thinking of the far higher number of players who get injured and come back on time with no issues.

That was the suspicion last season when Fraser came back approaching the end of the season. However he was absolutely fine and ready to come back. This is probably more typical I think.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)