+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player Ratings - Exeter Away (Next Week)

Player Ratings - Exeter Away (Next Week)

I'd like to apologise in advance - I'm on holiday next week.

While I'll probably watch the game - and may well provide a brief report - proper ratings will recommence on the following Saturday.

I'll definitely try and post something from the hotel a few hours post-game as I realise the majority of folk interested won't be making the trip.

I'm actually quite optimistic about the season - and will be especially if Sheridan can bring in a couple of additions before the transfer window shuts.

Ta Piglet, and enjoy your holidays. I'll be over in Ontario in September and will have to make similar plans for the predictocomp.

Wish I shared your optimism though.

"We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is fact"

Thanks for nothing, John. We’re starting the season with Liddle and Parkes in defence – a combination we already know leaks goals for fun. In fairness to Parkes he was blameless today, but we all know about Liddle...

And you start with Jones, Devitt and Gilhespey on the bench – I thought Curle was bad but what new level of f_ckwittery is all this? Strangely enough Liddle, without Hill has gone back into his shell, Miller looks (being my kindest) unfit and Slater looks like some random bloke we’ve pulled off the street with zero awareness and less than zero technical ability. Unsurprisingly, the entire right hand side of our team looks like a playground disaster area and Exeter easily exploited our awfulness to take the points today.

Fryer – 5 – No saves of any real note but looks an improvement on Bonham. Couldn’t be faulted for any of the goals but looked too quick to punt the ball hopefully forward rather than aim for a blue shirt in close proximity. He’ll certainly get some practice if we start with this line up every week.

Miller – 2 – Awful. On paper he looked a decent signing but struggled to handle anything defensively and his use of the ball was poor. Needs to up his game massively in the forthcoming weeks.

Liddle – 2 – Same old Liddle, the Liddle we knew before the arrival of Hill. Nowhere near up to professional standard, his efforts for the first two goals we conceded were laughable.

Parkes – 5 – Actually defending and quite solid, and with a defender with a little ability beside him in central defence would probably look a lot more composed. Didn’t use the ball as well as he can but was strong.

Grainger – 6* – The problem today was the right side of our defence, not the left. In fairness to old Granny (I’ve given him some justified stick over the years) he looks like a new player. He’s sharper, looks leaner and today was not only our best defender but used the ball quite well. An excellent cross for the goal.

Slater - 1 – Looked like he’s never been on a football pitch in his life before and had the cheek to stand around shouting and pointing at the rest of the team. Our players actively avoided giving him the ball (which tells you a lot) and when he did have possession – wasted it entirely. Totally lost in space for Exeter’s first two goals when a real midfielder would’ve been defending. His combination with Miller and Liddle leaves a big gaping defensive hole in the right side of our team. I thought Curle made some strange decisions in team selection but picking this player and then leaving him on the pitch for 61 minutes takes the cake.

Glendon – 6 – Everything good in our football started with Glendon, while he was on the pitch. Looked lively and worked well to get on the ball, used it brightly, and his range of passing looked decent, however with Slater and Etuhu alongside him – you might as well have played me in central midfield for all the influence he had.

Etuhu – 3 – Typical Etuhu, drifted in and out of the game like a big, plodding carthorse. I thought Sherridan might get more out of him, but a cabbage patch kid will always be a cabbage patch kid, you’ll never turn it into Stephen Hawking.

Yates – 2 – Trying too hard. In fairness he had precious little service with the disaster area of Miller / Slater / Liddle behind him and his best moments came when he pulled himself out of position over to the left to avoid them. However, his touch today was awful, his passing poor and he looked like he couldn’t beat an egg, let alone his full-back.

Bennett – 6 – Battled manfully all afternoon, but playing with his back to goal leading the line is not really his game. Yes he can win a header, but when you play 4-3-3 nobody is close enough to him to take advantage. Excellent header for the goal – and if we provide him with the ball in around the box while he is facing the target he will bag us goals. However, it’s all about playing to his strengths – and if we ask him to slug it out physically every game his season will be over well before Christmas.

Hope – 6 – Great little cut back in the build up to our goal and lively all match on the left flank. His crossing however, leaves a lot to be desired – his strength should be cutting inside and creating havoc but Etuhu gave him precious little support to do this. Hope and Grainger look a comfortable combination on the left – shame about the rest of the team.

Subs:

Devitt – 5 – Really odd he didn’t start today and we looked lively when he came on even although he was just randomly hitting the ball towards the penalty area without any real thought.

Jones – 5 – Brought some much needed dynamic flow to our midfield, but too little too late. Perplexing how you can select Slater and Etuhu and leave Jones on the bench?

Campbell – No rating, did nothing but didn’t have much of an opportunity.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)