+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Las Palmas

Las Palmas

Any verdict on the last warmup anyone? Its starting to get real.

Watched the second half via stream; difficult to judge really as it wasn't the most exciting of games. Phillips seemed quite at home in the back 3 but I'm still not a fan, a creative midfielder and a pace striker are going tom tear us apart I reckon. We seemed to be passing and moving well with plenty of movement and players allowed to move out of position in order to join the attack; it feels a bit like a 'total football' approach, but I'm still not sure it'll stand us in good stead in the league. problem is still that we aren't getting shots on goal, apart from the goal I can't recall an actual shot, let alone one on target. Jury's still out for me.

Cooper at the back would always be a major concern for me SM..how did he fair from what you saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Cooper at the back would always be a major concern for me SM..how did he fair from what you saw?
    The game was so lacking in intensity that nobody on either side was ever really tested Rev.

They hit the bar a couple of times from good free-kicks. We scored late on with a tidy turn from Roofe.

Overall everyone played ok.

Saw the Klich comments on the other thread - i agree he's looked much better in the pre-season games, but they've all been relatively easy games, and whilst he has looked tidy on the ball, he does have a tendency to go sideways and backwards at the first sign of pressing, which is probably why he struggled in the championship last year. Hope his improvement continues, but would be surprised (and a bit concerned) to see him in the first team once the season starts.

THought the Chelsea lad did better when he came on at bringing things to life a bit and being forward-looking.

Cheers for the update Jez.

Honestly don't know what to expect this season..a few more through the door is needed for sure.

Top 6 is what our owner wants..doubt we will get it considering the competition this season but yer never know.

The Rev is living in hope

that dude with the cannon foot on Las Palmas would be one to look at. Not sure what he's paid but he was smooth.

I saw the whole thing, apart from fidels 2 free kicks, we restricted las palmas to nothing really, so I suppose from a defensive shape point of view we did well

id still prefer to see phillips further forward and Vieira do the cb work but in fairness to kalvin he did well

overall

bpf - did what he had to and kept a clean sheet
    Berardi - did well defensively and worked hard
    phillips - adapting well to his new role
    cooper - the worst of the back bunch, need jansson back quick
    ayling - got forward when possible and got in a couple of good crosses
    dallas - a typical reliable performance but maybe needs to cross more
    Vieira - did ok but seemed a bit on his own at times
    alioski - great work ethic as usual but would like him more energetic when attacking
    Hernandez - a surprisingly poor game for his standards although he did track back well
    saiz - a couple of good runs forward with the ball but nothing much else really
    roofe - fed off not much and went wide a couple of times when he needs to stay central but took his goal well
    klich - looked decent when he came on and we might need him with Forshaw out injured
    baker - looks like he might be a decent signing fairly useful when in possession
    Roberts - this kid looks decent hes big quick and fairly tidy with the ball
    shackleton - high hopes for him but wasn't on the pitch long for this match

id like to see Roberts upfront instead of outwide, I think if bielsa is properly backed and supported then this could be a good season

overall though it was a very average game
    Last edited by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN; 30-07-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)