+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't understand

Don't understand

A little while ago we were told CW would have funds to build a Championship contending team. Then we sell Brooks and get an additional £12m. Now all we hear is we can't compete with other Championship clubs. Okay I can understand there are some that have loads more money, but surely we should be near the top end of spenders than going around pleading poverty. But I guess that's The Blades way.

By the way is anyone else getting page moving up whilst writing?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    A little while ago we were told CW would have funds to build a Championship contending team. Then we sell Brooks and get an additional £12m. Now all we hear is we can't compete with other Championship clubs. Okay I can understand there are some that have loads more money, but surely we should be near the top end of spenders than going around pleading poverty. But I guess that's The Blades way.

By the way is anyone else getting page moving up whilst writing?
    Sadly, it’s not the transfer fees that kill you, it’s the wages. Buy an expensive player on silly money, and it’s not just his wages - several other key members of the squad (or at least, their agents) will be wanting a substantial rise as well. If it succeeds, great, if it doesn’t, you have a big problem.
    CW is keen to keep a happy dressing room, and to build a sustainable club on sound foundations. In that, he has my utmost admiration and support. It must be very tempting to “splash the cash”, especially when it isn’t yours, but personally, I would prefer the current CW system which has, so far, given us two very enjoyable seasons.

Actually, I think all football clubs should be just that, CLUBS, owned by their members - not limited companies used as playthings or vanity projects by incredibly rich persons, very often foreign, with no emotional attachment to the club, and whose wealth frequently comes from VERY dubious sources.

Sadly, that stable door fell off its hinges a long, long time ago.

Finally - no, my page isn’t moving while I write.

We could have a £50m transfer budget and it would still be useless because..... wages.

Will we spend more than Wednesday this season?

good post ronnie spot on

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Sadly, it’s not the transfer fees that kill you, it’s the wages. Buy an expensive player on silly money, and it’s not just his wages - several other key members of the squad (or at least, their agents) will be wanting a substantial rise as well. If it succeeds, great, if it doesn’t, you have a big problem.
    CW is keen to keep a happy dressing room, and to build a sustainable club on sound foundations. In that, he has my utmost admiration and support. It must be very tempting to “splash the cash”, especially when it isn’t yours, but personally, I would prefer the current CW system which has, so far, given us two very enjoyable seasons.

Actually, I think all football clubs should be just that, CLUBS, owned by their members - not limited companies used as playthings or vanity projects by incredibly rich persons, very often foreign, with no emotional attachment to the club, and whose wealth frequently comes from VERY dubious sources.

Sadly, that stable door fell off its hinges a long, long time ago.

Finally - no, my page isn’t moving while I write.
    Excellent post Ronald,

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    We could have a £50m transfer budget and it would still be useless because..... wages.

Yes.
    And many years ago when wages weren't the issue it was the transfer fee
    And if it's not the transfer fee or the wages it's the agent

And if it's not the transfer fee, wages or the agent it's the players attitude

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    Yes.
    And many years ago when wages weren't the issue it was the transfer fee
    And if it's not the transfer fee or the wages it's the agent

And if it's not the transfer fee, wages or the agent it's the players attitude
    Gallagher is reportedly wanting 24k a week JJ,should we pay it for him?

For years we've blamed the board for every unpopular outgoing, and for not bringing in whoever was going to be the answer to our prayers (we tried but..), like its bleedin Football Manager, not real life.

So, now we've got CW who is being really quite open and honest about what we are doing, and why, and what we can afford, and what we can't. Its the boards job to give him a budget to work with, which to their great credit they have, and now its down to CW and his staff to get us players who want to come here for the right money.

If Gallagher wants £24k, but comes with the right attitude and skills, I'd pay him. But if we have other options who'd come for £15k, even if they weren't quite as good, then its down to CWs judgement. Just like buying a new telly. You can always spend more, but does it get you any more value?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast