+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fair Islay.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Only took up golf 4 years ago just after i retired although played a wee bit when younger.

Starting hcap was 10 went up to 11end of last season but at 9.1 now.....cud probably get down to 8.....at a push 7.

Could have been better but had a 7 on 15th as I put drive on the beach....which is in play but didnae fancy the climb down.

3 birdies today 4th, short par 4 to the beach, 14th shortlist par 4 back into the wind and stroke index 1 16th parallel to the beach.

Oh and it was off the white pegs as well...we weren't brave enough to play off the black but glad we played the whites instead of the yellows.

Great test and didn't seem to be any major problem with rabbits.
    You have done very well to get your handicap down to 9.1 despite only starting to play again after retiring four years ago.
    It is the wind that makes seaside golf courses difficult to play.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    What a cheek.
    I have also been advising the poster and visitors to this forum my knowledge about the South Kintyre area which is well worth a visit.
    It's not as gripping a conversation as the ones that develop when the ridiculously low pricing of Ferries to the isles is being discussed. I fear that once you return to dundee Cal-Mac is going to have a criticism free environment without your constant monitoring of their misdemeanors.

You have done very well to get your handicap down to 9.1 despite only starting to play again after retiring four years ago.
    It is the wind that makes seaside golf courses difficult to play.
    Played Dunaverty today Islay.

Stunning views, small greens and friendly club.....what's not to like.

77 off the white pegs.....11 over par.....very quirky but by no means a pushover of a course.

I've had a fantastic time here, top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    It's not as gripping a conversation as the ones that develop when the ridiculously low pricing of Ferries to the isles is being discussed. I fear that once you return to dundee Cal-Mac is going to have a criticism free environment without your constant monitoring of their misdemeanors.
    On the contrary once I move back to live in Dundee the gloves are off.

Played Dunaverty today Islay.

Stunning views, small greens and friendly club.....what's not to like.

77 off the white pegs.....11 over par.....very quirky but by no means a pushover of a course.

I've had a fantastic time here, top notch.
    I thought that you would enjoy playing Dunaverty which is a part seaside and part inland golf course.
    How did you get on playing the 17th hole over the river with the green immediately behind. Did you lay up with your second shot or did you attempt to reach the green in two shots.
    The last time I played at Dunaverty was in May 2004. We took the 4.30am sailing from Port Askaig Islay to Kennacraig and drove down to Dunaverty arriving at 7.15am. The clubhouse was closed and the steward came out to the fourth hole to get our order for lunch. We paid for our day ticket when we finished our first round before lunch, a 2nd round after lunch at about 12 noon then coffee and cakes before travelling back for the 18.00 sailing from Kennacraig to Port Ellen.
    It was a very long and enjoyable day.

I thought that you would enjoy playing Dunaverty which is a part seaside and part inland golf course.
    How did you get on playing the 17th hole over the river with the green immediately behind. Did you lay up with your second shot or did you attempt to reach the green in two shots.
    The last time I played at Dunaverty was in May 2004. We took the 4.30am sailing from Port Askaig Islay to Kennacraig and drove down to Dunaverty arriving at 7.15am. The clubhouse was closed and the steward came out to the fourth hole to get our order for lunch. We paid for our day ticket when we finished our first round before lunch, a 2nd round after lunch at about 12 noon then coffee and cakes before travelling back for the 18.00 sailing from Kennacraig to Port Ellen.
    It was a very long and enjoyable day.
    Big drive, 170 left into the wind, couldn't get there with 5 iron (biggest I carry) but played a rescue 4 ( we were 1 down at the time) and got over and just off green high left, putted on and down the brae and holed 5 footer back up.

Only 1 birdie today at the 2nd.

Big drive, 170 left into the wind, couldn't get there with 5 iron (biggest I carry) but played a rescue 4 ( we were 1 down at the time) and got over and just off green high left, putted on and down the brae and holed 5 footer back up.

Only 1 birdie today at the 2nd.

Cannae hit a 5 iron 170 into the wind. It’s only a choked 7.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post

I can, just can't carry it that distance into the wind...which if you knew the hole you'd understand choice of club.

Oh and it was 2 club wind.....but your no interested In golf.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post

You must be some hitter of a golf ball unless you shut the face on the 7 iron and hit the golf ball about 3 feet off the ground.
    A normal 7 iron shot is high and often the wind takes a hold of it and it comes up,short unless you are playing downwind.

I can, just can't carry it that distance into the wind...which if you knew the hole you'd understand choice of club.

Oh and it was 2 club wind.....but your no interested In golf.
    I know exactly what you are talking about when you speak about it being a 2 club wind.
    For the non-golfers this means that if the normal shot required the player to use a 7 iron then thanks to playing into the wind the player has to hit a five iron to reach the required distance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)