+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fair Islay.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    P.s meant to ask.

Just further south of golf club is a tallish building light grey stone just off the beach a bit.....is it a mill or a castle?
    I think it was a lifeboat shed but it has been converted to self catering accommodation.

No I didnae.

The club didnae have a bar so it was back to a place that did.

Played Panmure for 1st time today Islay and v v close to hole in one at 5th....3 inches or so.

Have you played?

Must be one of the few places that still have a ladies entrance....didnae notice the butler and servants entrance.

Trying to persuade some of my golfing acquaintances to head back to macrihanish next year instead of Spain. 50/50 split at the minute so might end up Spain.

Hate airports with a passion though.
    I have played Panmure a couple of times. The last time I played was in September 1980. Panmure is a posh club and anyone wishing to join had to have a total of ten proposers and seconders. However Panmure like most private members golf clubs are looking for members and have relaxed their joining conditions.
    From memory there used to be a lot of heather immediately off the tee which resulted in a quite a carry until you reached the fairway. That was OK if you are playing down wind but a lot more difficult if you are playing into the wind.
    Ben Hogan when he won the 1953 Open Championship which was played at Carnoustie practiced at Panmure Barry prior to the Open Championship week. Ben Hogan only entered the 1953 Open Championship as the low prize money on offer resulted in it costing him money to travel from USA to Scotland.
    I enclose another piece of golfing information that you are probably not aware of.
    In 1901 the Machrie Open took place with a first prize of £100 and a total prize fund of £175. This was a fortune at the time and to put things into perspective the winner of the Open Championship did not receive a prize of £100 until it was played in 1946.
    The Machrie Open in 1901 was bankrolled by owners of whisky distilleries and the prize money on offer was enough to have the three greatest professional golfers at that time James Braid, Harry Vardon and J H Taylor to undertake the long journey by steamer to Islay to take part. J H Taylor won 1901 Machrie Open.
    This was the 1901 equivalent of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player taking part.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I have played Panmure a couple of times. The last time I played was in September 1980. Panmure is a posh club and anyone wishing to join had to have a total of ten proposers and seconders. However Panmure like most private members golf clubs are looking for members and have relaxed their joining conditions.
    From memory there used to be a lot of heather immediately off the tee which resulted in a quite a carry until you reached the fairway. That was OK if you are playing down wind but a lot more difficult if you are playing into the wind.
    Ben Hogan when he won the 1953 Open Championship which was played at Carnoustie practiced at Panmure Barry prior to the Open Championship week. Ben Hogan only entered the 1953 Open Championship as the low prize money on offer resulted in it costing him money to travel from USA to Scotland.
    I enclose another piece of golfing information that you are probably not aware of.
    In 1901 the Machrie Open took place with a first prize of £100 and a total prize fund of £175. This was a fortune at the time and to put things into perspective the winner of the Open Championship did not receive a prize of £100 until it was played in 1946.
    The Machrie Open in 1901 was bankrolled by owners of whisky distilleries and the prize money on offer was enough to have the three greatest professional golfers at that time James Braid, Harry Vardon and J H Taylor to undertake the long journey by steamer to Islay to take part. J H Taylor won 1901 Machrie Open.
    This was the 1901 equivalent of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player taking part.
    PS I would rather sunbathe in Spain and play golf at Machrihanish.

PS I would rather sunbathe in Spain and play golf at Machrihanish.
    Don't sunbathe.

I started the magaluf masters crazy golf championship in 1995.

In its heyday it had a field of 12.

It just became too difficult to referee when preferred lies, boys squabbling about colour of ball they played with and others threatening to bang boys in the pus for not shouting "fore"...I kid you not.

Have won it on numerous occasions ...others haven't been quite so lucky....close but never the big prize.😁.....and it annoys them to this day.

I can confirm Arnie, Jack or Gary ever entered.

I started the magaluf masters crazy golf championship in 1995.

In its heyday it had a field of 12.

It just became too difficult to referee when preferred lies, boys squabbling about colour of ball they played with and others threatening to bang boys in the pus for not shouting "fore"...I kid you not.

Have won it on numerous occasions ...others haven't been quite so lucky....close but never the big prize.��.....and it annoys them to this day.

I can confirm Arnie, Jack or Gary ever entered.
    Only as good as your last game, used to love the competition they weeks created, alway glad to have the magaluf pool trophy tucked away with the Perth dark blues pool trophy, some can’t handle that

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Only as good as your last game, used to love the competition they weeks created, alway glad to have the magaluf pool trophy tucked away with the Perth dark blues pool trophy, some can’t handle that
    Oyf😁😁😁

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)