+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I don't know why the club bothers with scouts. Surely they should just ask you?
    You may be on to something here, i should be invited to attend closed door games for trialists

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    You may be on to something here, i should be invited to attend closed door games for trialists
    It would be good to see reserve games at Tannadice but the home fixtures are getting played at St Andrews. So the players will not get familiar playing competitive games at Tannadice unless they are in the first team.

I remember going up to Tannadice in the late eighties and early to mid-nineties to watch the reserves. Used to get pretty good crowds too. You could see who was pushing to get involved in the first team and you got really great games, not to mention the quality trialists who played in these games. Two o'clock in the afternoon on a Monday, don't see much of a crowd being their to watch and encourage them.

However at least the reserve league is back and the "Development League" has been binned.

aye the reserve games used to be pretty good, used to go with my dad in the 80's/90's alot. crowds were always decent as you say, just like everything they make a james blunt of it eh

i remember a young rojas down the wings one reserve game

Reserve games were great. I remember bowman giving a hertz player a right hook in the puss right in front of the gf. It was the first tackle he got in the match! Straight red

Quote Originally Posted by arab81 View Post
    See all these fans you talk off that don't give players a chance etc, 9 times out of 10 there right tho.
    I seen lyng for 10mins, turned to my young lad and said he looks stinking, waste of time and money.
    So I've absolutely no doubt rabbit will be stinking aswell, probably punted out on loan when the new manager comes in.
    Even if it was 10 out of 10 in my opinion you should still give them a chance. We're at a level where players will come and go and a lot of them will not be up to snuff so taking the default position of slagging them is more than likely gonna turn out right but I don't understand what kind of joy people get from that.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefers View Post
    Reserve games were great. I remember bowman giving a hertz player a right hook in the puss right in front of the gf. It was the first tackle he got in the match! Straight red
    Remember a reserve match at Tannadice think it was about 1987 Stevie Campbell got a straight red for a bad tackle then spat in the United dugout ...think Gordon Wallace was your reserve coach at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    It would be good to see reserve games at Tannadice but the home fixtures are getting played at St Andrews. So the players will not get familiar playing competitive games at Tannadice unless they are in the first team.

I remember going up to Tannadice in the late eighties and early to mid-nineties to watch the reserves. Used to get pretty good crowds too. You could see who was pushing to get involved in the first team and you got really great games, not to mention the quality trialists who played in these games. Two o'clock in the afternoon on a Monday, don't see much of a crowd being their to watch and encourage them.

However at least the reserve league is back and the "Development League" has been binned.
    I went to most of the reserve games from around the late 70’s when the likes of Badger, Gough etc we’re coming through the ranks when Wattie was playing for the under 21’s 😱. There was a good crowd banter in those days. Christian Daily went through somebody and was met with a response from the opposing fans of. “ That wasn’t very Christian, Daily “ It was around the time that Gough arrived and decided it was too cold in Dundee!

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post

You must also remember the state of the pitch back then too then.

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Remember a reserve match at Tannadice think it was about 1987 Stevie Campbell got a straight red for a bad tackle then spat in the United dugout ...think Gordon Wallace was your reserve coach at the time
    Stevie Campbell actually told me about that incident when he was coaching at Utd. He was a bit of a hot head when he was a player and as a coach he still is .

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)