+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team for Saturday

Team for Saturday

I'm pretty sure we won't see much in the way of experiment (although TM has caught me out several times before now!).
    I see that lots of people elsewhere are predicting a start for Bell and a back three.
    I suspect we will go with a back four and the two "holding" midfielders, with Bennett, Dack, Graham and Samuel in front of Smallwood and Evans.
    How about this as a slightly adjusted alternative:
    Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Willams
    Bennett Smallwood Evans Conway
    Dack
    Graham
    ?

Given that Bennett and Conway are both a-bob-each-way players, in terms of attack and defence, I reckon that line-up could work, with the relevant full-back moving up to fill the gap for whichever winger has gone into the area as an extra attacker.
    Any thoughts?

I think a back 3 of lenihan mulgrew Williams
    2 wing backs Nyambe and bell
    2 holding midfielders Evans and Smallwood
    Finally a 3 prong attack of Samuel dack and Graham

With a strong bench as well
    Leutwiller
    Travis
    Downing
    Bennett
    Davenport
    Palmer
    Nuttall/New city lad

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I think a back 3 of lenihan mulgrew Williams
    2 wing backs Nyambe and bell
    2 holding midfielders Evans and Smallwood
    Finally a 3 prong attack of Samuel dack and Graham

With a strong bench as well
    Leutwiller
    Travis
    Downing
    Bennett
    Davenport
    Palmer
    Nuttall/New city lad
    I see what you're saying, Robin, but it would be tough to drop one of our most consistent players, Bennett.

We wont start with 3 at the back away from home on opening day playing a side who will come out and attack, certainly because they are at home, and also because they are playing in front of their home crowd withy their new manager.

4 at the back
    Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Williams
    2 holding
    Smallwood Evans
    in front of them
    RM - Bennett LM - Palmer
    Dack
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    We wont start with 3 at the back away from home on opening day playing a side who will come out and attack, certainly because they are at home, and also because they are playing in front of their home crowd withy their new manager.

4 at the back
    Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Williams
    2 holding
    Smallwood Evans
    in front of them
    RM - Bennett LM - Palmer
    Dack
    Graham
    I was wondering if he might throw Palmer straight in too. I doubt it, because TM seems to be a great believer in players fully understanding his style and team-systems. On the other hand, this is not a signing like Harper or Hart. Palmer already has more Championship experience than most of our players!
    Mowbray does seem quite intent on giving Samuel a chance to prove himself - possibly because it has been such a struggle to sign a new centre-forward. It would be excellent if he suddenly found form. A lot of fans have put him down, but I thought he was still good in spells last year, even when things weren't going his way. All through my football-watching life, I have seen strikers go through bad patches and then suddenly come to life. There aren't many Shearers in terms of consistency. As I've said before, Samuel would probably do best in an old-fashioned 4-4-2 with twin strikers, but with TM favouring roaming No.10s like Dack (and Palmer?), we are not going to see that set-up. This is an issue for Nuttall in the same way. If we do get another proven striker in, it will be interesting to see if the pattern changes. More likely is that the new player would be cover for Graham, to begin with, perhaps getting the final half-hour in each game.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I was wondering if he might throw Palmer straight in too. I doubt it, because TM seems to be a great believer in players fully understanding his style and team-systems. On the other hand, this is not a signing like Harper or Hart. Palmer already has more Championship experience than most of our players!
    Mowbray does seem quite intent on giving Samuel a chance to prove himself - possibly because it has been such a struggle to sign a new centre-forward. It would be excellent if he suddenly found form. A lot of fans have put him down, but I thought he was still good in spells last year, even when things weren't going his way. All through my football-watching life, I have seen strikers go through bad patches and then suddenly come to life. There aren't many Shearers in terms of consistency. As I've said before, Samuel would probably do best in an old-fashioned 4-4-2 with twin strikers, but with TM favouring roaming No.10s like Dack (and Palmer?), we are not going to see that set-up. This is an issue for Nuttall in the same way. If we do get another proven striker in, it will be interesting to see if the pattern changes. More likely is that the new player would be cover for Graham, to begin with, perhaps getting the final half-hour in each game.
    It's unlikely Palmer plays. As TM has said he isn't fit yet. Check his comments about the new Chelsea managers training regime!! Funny. Not so much for us, we need him.
    Davenport will be missing. He picked up an injury last week at Accy.

I think tomorrow it will be

Raya
    Back 4
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
    Holding
    Smallwood Evans
    Bennett right of them
    Samuel and Dack just behind Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I think tomorrow it will be

Raya
    Back 4
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
    Holding
    Smallwood Evans
    Bennett right of them
    Samuel and Dack just behind Graham.
    Very probable.
    Palmer for the last half-hour?

I think they will try not to play him as he hasn't played over summer. If it looks like we are going to get a decent result he may not feature

Just watched to the end of that brilliant test-match. Off to bed now, and the up early to watch the iFollow replay of the Rovers game.
    I might get up early a few times this season and watch live, but busy day tomorrow, so just the replay.
    Here's hoping!
    My friends in Ipswich will be unbearable if we lose, so, until I know the result, it's phones off as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)