+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Position predictions

As you know, Champs, I think the extra goalie would be a bit of a luxury. Leutwiler has looked pretty assured and competent to me, and Fisher is definitely a keeper - in both senses!
    With Wharton out on loan, I can see why a fourth centre-back would be useful, but Williams has looked good when needed there, so I wouldn't see it as a priority.
    I'd still like to see Chapman back, but with Palmer around, even that has lost its urgency, as it looks as if KP can do that wide job.
    For me, therefore, it's only the extra, quality centre-forward that's absolutely essential.
    I think a squad of over 30 is too big, to be honest, as it is already looking as if Tomlinson - for example - won't get a sniff of the matchday 18 now. Indeed, I'd expect him to go out on loan. Even Travis is going to find it hard to get in, except that he provides useful cover for Nyambe as well as the midfield.
    If we take it literally, ALL of the following can play in central midfield: Smallwood, Evans, Rothwell, Davenport, Whittingham, Travis, Palmer, Tomlinson, Bennett. I accept that some of those players can be used elsewhere, but it still looks pretty crowded, so I don't see that some of them are going to get much time on the pitch, unless we have major injury-problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    As you know, Champs, I think the extra goalie would be a bit of a luxury. Leutwiler has looked pretty assured and competent to me, and Fisher is definitely a keeper - in both senses!
    With Wharton out on loan, I can see why a fourth centre-back would be useful, but Williams has looked good when needed there, so I wouldn't see it as a priority.
    I'd still like to see Chapman back, but with Palmer around, even that has lost its urgency, as it looks as if KP can do that wide job.
    For me, therefore, it's only the extra, quality centre-forward that's absolutely essential.
    I think a squad of over 30 is too big, to be honest, as it is already looking as if Tomlinson - for example - won't get a sniff of the matchday 18 now. Indeed, I'd expect him to go out on loan. Even Travis is going to find it hard to get in, except that he provides useful cover for Nyambe as well as the midfield.
    If we take it literally, ALL of the following can play in central midfield: Smallwood, Evans, Rothwell, Davenport, Whittingham, Travis, Palmer, Tomlinson, Bennett. I accept that some of those players can be used elsewhere, but it still looks pretty crowded, so I don't see that some of them are going to get much time on the pitch, unless we have major injury-problems.
    I'm not so sure about Leutwiler. He just isn't pushing for a first team place. Raya is under no pressure whatsoever. And that's what we don't want. He has to be pushed. Leutwiler was not quite good enough for League 1, that's why we got him in as cover. He wont be adequate for the Champ if we lost Raya, or his form dipped. Fisher is a year or two behind in development.
    If we lost Lenihan on the opening day and he was out until March, or Charlie, that would mean almost a full season with Williams at centre back. Auks, he stepped in and did ok last season in league one. We are in the champ now, better attacking players etc. While I think Williams can step in for the odd game, the occasional half, its not his position.
    Downing is good to have around, wont let us down, but that's for the odd game in isolation. If he, or Williams had to play for a sustained period .....I'd be majorly concerned. Neither could play for a long period, without is seriously derailing us. And who would cover Williams or Downing at Centre half if they then got injured? Or where in poor form?
    We are very very light at CB. Wharton simply wasn't ready. He will be in 12 months.
    So we need to find cover. With CHAMP experience, who wont kick off when he isn't playing, if our 2 first choice CB's are fit and playing.

I think Tomlinson will probably go out on loan. Once we secure the striker (or 2) then Nuttall will also go out on loan.
    Unsure about Whittingham. Bennett will play, Rothwell is cover. Davenport has been brought in to challenge Smallwood and Evans. Yes, some of these lads can also fit into other positions, but mainly he has 2 for each position.

Mid table for you lads and bottom half for the Clarets..

Good points, Champs. It's worst-case scenario stuff, though. If we get another four new ones in, and only have an average number of injury-problems, there are going to be a lot of players who don't even get close to the matchday 18. Of course, three or four may leave in the next fortnight, but we have seen no sign of that yet.
    Bauer is a case in point. He is not going to be ahead of Mulgrew and Lenihan in normal circumstances, so he is going to spend a lot of time on the bench.
    On the goalkeeping issue, I'm not sure that the quality of the second choice is that relevant. In the heat of a match, a player is not going to be focused on outperforming a potential rival.
    Bottom line, if a squad gets too big, you have a recipe for dissent and grumbling. Rothwell, for example, is too good to be nothing but "cover". I'd rather see purchases we really need, rather than purchases - "just in case".

Good points, Champs. It's worst-case scenario stuff, though. If we get another four new ones in, and only have an average number of injury-problems, there are going to be a lot of players who don't even get close to the matchday 18. Of course, three or four may leave in the next fortnight, but we have seen no sign of that yet.
    Bauer is a case in point. He is not going to be ahead of Mulgrew and Lenihan in normal circumstances, so he is going to spend a lot of time on the bench.
    On the goalkeeping issue, I'm not sure that the quality of the second choice is that relevant. In the heat of a match, a player is not going to be focused on outperforming a potential rival.
    Bottom line, if a squad gets too big, you have a recipe for dissent and grumbling. Rothwell, for example, is too good to be nothing but "cover". I'd rather see purchases we really need, rather than purchases - "just in case".
    I think Mowbray knows exactly who he wants. And who he doesn't. I think they have got in early, the ones available at the time. And due to the WC the loan/permanent transfers are delayed. Most clubs are affected. He knows where to spend the money, and where to get in players who can fit into a squad. And we won't be pushed into spending silly money. He said what he wants, 2-3 strikers/forwards. Which is where he will spend the money we have. Another central defender and possibly another keeper to push Raya. If 3/4 come in, then 3/4 will go out. Some younger lads on loan etc. But we won't let that happen, until players come in.
    He will also have options 2,3 or 4 if the main targets are unavailable. Best to assess the squad situation when the window is closed. As I still think quite a few changes may occur.

Champs, if the BBC transfer-site is anything to go by, lots of clubs and managers are playing chicken.
    Apart from loans, "frees", and the lonely unattached(!), there has been remarkably little activity below PL level.
    Deadline-day shows every sign of being even more manic than usual.
    I still wouldn't be surprised to see big offers come in for Dack and Lenihan on that final day. I suspect a few clubs will even have an eye on Nyambe and Bell.
    Just as well their contracts mean the offers would have to be genuinely huge.

Champs, if the BBC transfer-site is anything to go by, lots of clubs and managers are playing chicken.
    Apart from loans, "frees", and the lonely unattached(!), there has been remarkably little activity below PL level.
    Deadline-day shows every sign of being even more manic than usual.
    I still wouldn't be surprised to see big offers come in for Dack and Lenihan on that final day. I suspect a few clubs will even have an eye on Nyambe and Bell.
    Just as well their contracts mean the offers would have to be genuinely huge.
    I would imagine we have quite a few sort after players. Which is why this summer has been so good. We have our best players on big long contracts. Meaning in today's market we'd be getting £35/40m for both Lenihan & Dack. It won't happen though.
    I do expect like most clubs, there will be a late frenzy of activity both in and out.

Hey all you Lancies on here, did you celebrate Yorkshire day on Aug 1st ?.
    I reckon Blackburn will safely stay up but won't be challenging for the top places... 15th place maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey all you Lancies on here, did you celebrate Yorkshire day on Aug 1st ?.
    I reckon Blackburn will safely stay up but won't be challenging for the top places... 15th place maybe.
    Acido - it wasn't big in Auckland!

The TalkSport supercomputer (which did pretty well last season) has come up with the following prediction:
    1. Stoke City
    2. Derby County
    3. Middlesbrough
    4. Nottingham Forest
    5. Leeds United
    6. West Bromwich Albion
    7. Preston North End
    8. Brentford
    9. Aston Villa
    10. Swansea City
    11. Norwich City
    12. Bristol City
    13. Sheffield United
    14. Millwall
    15. Birmingham City
    16. Wigan Athletic
    17. Blackburn Rovers
    18. Ipswich Town
    19. QPR
    20. Hull City
    21. Sheffield Wednesday
    22. Reading
    23. Bolton Wanderers
    24. Rotherham United

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)