+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League Preview & Predictions

Premier League Preview & Predictions

Thought I'd put together a post to discuss our new division and see where everybody thought we'd finish.

Arsenal - 2017-18 Finish: 6th
    In: Manager Unai Emery, Liechsteiner, Leno, Papastathopoulos, Torreira, Guendouzi
    Out: Manager Arsene Wenger, Mertesacker, Cazorla, Wilshere

Interesting to watch this season. I think Emery was a solid choice. I don't know if Arsenal will finish better than they did last season, but I think there will be more energy surrounding the club. I don't know enough about Emery's style to know who will and won't fit in his system.

Bournemouth - 17-18 - 12th
    In: David Brooks, Diego Rico
    Out: Grabban, Federici

Doesn't seem like there were alot of changes this offseason (week and a half left before the season starts though). They kept Eddie Howe as manager. Their style seems like a boom or bust system. I feel like they're either winning big or losing big. I don't think they'll finish quite as high this year.

Brighton Hove & Albion - 17-18 - 15th
    In: Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Button, Bernardo, Balogun, Andone
    Out: no one of note

The only players they've seen leave played less than 10 matches for Brighton last season. It was a surprise to some that they survived last season, considering they usually aren't big spenders and Hughton's system depends on smiple execution and unity throughout the match. They've really bolstered their squad with some attacking talent this summer. Will be interesting to see how it pays off. I expect their front office will expect improvement with the money they've invested.

Burnley - 17-18 - 7th
    In: no one of note so far
    Out: Scott Arfield

Interesting that they've really only signed players from lower level clubs so far this summer. That could prove a mistake with continental play on tap for Burnley. I think they'll be keeping their heads afloat this season, at least until they're knocked out of Europa League. But Dyche has surprised us before.

Cardiff City - 17-18 - 2nd in Championship
    In: Smithies, Josh Murphy, Bobby Reid, Cunningham
    Out: no one of note so far

Cardiff will try and grasp and claw their way to safety all season. They'll pull an upset win here or there, but I would be surprised if they weren't in or around the drop zone come season's end. They've made some decent additions in Murphy and Reid, but time will tell if they're ready for the step up.

Chelsea - 17-18 - 5th
    In: Manager Maurizzio Sauri, Jorginho
    Out: Manager Antonio Conte

I think Chelsea are in for a rough season. I imagine they'll make some more additions before the season starts, but I'm not sure it'll be enough. I don't think some of the current players want to stay. Can't see them cracking the top 4.

Crystal Palace - 17-18 - 11th
    In: Guaita
    Out: Sako

No major changes from the squad that had a historically abysmal start to the season and ended up finishing 11th. Their season hinges on Zaha staying and remaining healthy. If he can, it opens up alot more for their squad. I don't expect them to move higher than they finished last season.

Everton - 17-18 - 8th
    In: Manager Marco Silva, Richarlison, Digne
    Out: Manager Big Sam, Mori, Rooney

Change in manager will be interesting. I was impressed with Silva at Watford, but Everton is a step up. Big Sam played a boring brand, but he got results - or as good of results as they could expect. They were a big, slow team last season. Silva, Richarlison and Digne and a couple of their departures might help change that.

Fulham - 17-18 - Championship Playoff Winner
    In: Marchand, Seri, Fabricio, Mitrovic, Schurrle
    Out: Fredericks, Button

Some good moves for Fulham so far IMO. Plus, they've got Sessegnon. I think they'll do better than some expect. I wouldn't be surprised if they survive comfortably this season.

Huddersfield Town - 17-18 - 16th
    In: Bacuna, Sobhi, Diakhaby, Drum
    Out: Ince

Huddersfield have made a couple interesting additions. Drum will be known to Wagner from his time in Germany. No real losses this offseason. But I think they'll be treading water most of the season.

Leicester City - 17-18 - 9th
    In: Evans, Maddison, Pereira, Ward
    Out: Huth, Mahrez

Leicester finally had to let go of Riyad Mahrez, but they spent the money necessary to replace him. Alot of eyes will be on Maddison after his great season at Norwich. Season after they won was a bit of a scare, but they were stable last season. I think they'll finish around the same.

Liverpool - 17-18 - 4th
    In: Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, Alisson
    Out: Can, Ward

By season's end, I think Liverpool were the second best team in the Premier League, despite the 4th place finish. They've added some good pieces. Alisson is a very good goalkeeper and will improve their distribution from the back. Shaqiri will add some depth in attack. Overall, if they can stay healthy, I think they can try to keep pace with Man City and fall just short.

Manchester City - 17-18 - 1st
    In: Mahrez
    Out: Toure

No real losses for Manchester City and a good addition in Mahrez. They keep their main core of players, most of which are in their prime, and their younger stars will be a year older and better. No reason not to pick them to win the league IMO.

Manchester United - 17-18 - 2nd
    In: Fred
    Out: Blind

Not alot of movement in and out from Manchester United. Alot of their players enjoyed some great World Cups. Mourinho has been vocally disappointed in just about everything this offseason. On paper, they could challenge Man City. But things just don't seem right at Old Trafford.

Newcastle United - 17-18 - 10th
    In: Dubravka, Ki, Schar
    Out: Merino, Mbemba

No real losses for Newcastle. But they haven't spent as much as their fans - or Rafa - want. With lots of bottom half clubs improving, I think Newcastle will be in for a relegation battle without an some additions.

Southampton - 17-18 - 17th
    In: Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Gunn, Vestergaard
    Out: Tadic

Some interesting additions for Southampton. I think they've improved in terms of personnel. But I have no faith in Mark Hughes. They're a candidate to go down and Hughes could be the first manager axed.

Tottenham - 17-18 - 3rd
    In:
    Out:

Pretty much nothing has happened with Spurs this season. Kane and Trippier had good World Cups, along with a few others. Not sure how much further Kane can carry them without Levy ponying up some cash for more players. They'll be in a fight for a top 4 spot.

Watford - 17-18 - 14th
    In: Deulofeu, Foster, Navarro, Masina
    Out: Richarlison

Javi Garcia is the first Watford manager to finish a season and start the next since they've been promoted. Which means he'll be sacked any day now. I think they're in a dogfight at the bottom.

West Ham - 17-18 - 13th
    In: Manager Manuel Pellegrini, Diop, Fabianski, Fredericks, Wilshere, Yarmolenko, Balbuena, Anderson
    Out: Manager, David Moyes, Collins, Evra

Massive spending over at West Ham this summer. After a long and gruesome season under Moyes, West Ham have made major upgrades IMO. I don't think they'll get quite to European spots, but they could finish top half.

Wolves - 17-18 - 1st in Championship
    In: Patricio, Moutinho, Jiminez, Jonny
    Out: Douglas, Afobe, Miranda

Wolves have added some more players this summer. I don't think we needed a massive influx as most of the players from last season are good enough to keep us in the Premier League. Our two questions are how the wingbacks will perform and who will score the goals. I think the latter question will be much like last year: no 20 goal scorer putting one in every other game, but a handful of players with 8-12 goals. I'm more concerned about the wingbacks as they were a huge part of our success in the Championship. It's a step up in competition for Doherty and we've let Douglas go to Leeds. We will depend on improvement from Vinagre and Jonny coming in. Who knows if Ofosu-Ayeh will be able to do anything after missing all of last year with injury. But I think we've got enough to be safe if we avoid major injuries.

Predicted Finish:
    1. Manchester City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Manchester United
    4. Arsenal
    --------------------
    5. Tottenham
    6. Chelsea
    7. West Ham
    --------------------
    8. Everton
    9. Leicester City
    10. Brighton
    11. Wolves
    12. Burnley
    13. Crystal Palace
    14. Fulham
    15. Bournemouth
    16. Newcastle
    17. Southampton
    -------------------
    18. Watford
    19. Huddersfield
    20. Cardiff

I don't think your too far wrong there , I'd be more than happy if we finished in that position . I think after a big international tournament the domestic leagues across Europe can be unpredictable to a certain degree , but the table more often than not mirrors the wage bills the biggest spenders usually finish on par with their league positions # let's see 🙏🏻

Thanks for that Mich. Very informative.

Must have taken you ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Thanks for that Mich. Very informative.

Must have taken you ages!
    My boss is on vacation this week so I had time on my hands

Here, here Mich. Well done mate. Pretty much got it covered for me.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)