+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad at present

The OP is a damned good assessment of the current squad. I will still be watching the game on Saturday through my fingers (GFL seat E76 - I'll be the one too scared to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Serious question is the boy Fyvie that good?...almost everyone on here seems to think he will be your saviour once he's fit...just read a bit about him and never realised he's only started 15 games for united of which you lost 5...I remember him being decent with Hibs...just seems like a lot of expectation on somebody that really hasn't done much for your team up this point
    I think its a bit much to consider him as our saviour for the coming season, but he was one of the reasons we got to the top last season.

The fact he only started 15 games wasnt fully his fault as he came to us late in pre-season due to the apparent need to offload Bell. I then think that Ray pushed him into the team early, which might have been a contributor to his injury.

For this season, it is my hope that Shabba is a man of his word and holds Fyvie back a bit until all parties are happy he is fit. Something i think he has done with others who seemed to playing injured last season.

Looking at the general squad a competent manager should be able to get into the first two slots. Its down to how he uses them and motivates also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    I think its a bit much to consider him as our saviour for the coming season, but he was one of the reasons we got to the top last season.

The fact he only started 15 games wasnt fully his fault as he came to us late in pre-season due to the apparent need to offload Bell. I then think that Ray pushed him into the team early, which might have been a contributor to his injury.

For this season, it is my hope that Shabba is a man of his word and holds Fyvie back a bit until all parties are happy he is fit. Something i think he has done with others who seemed to playing injured last season.
    And he took a bit of a slamming for his first few games too on the forums. Just shows that patience is s virtue. Hopefully the new boys get a chance and we all get right behind them even if some of them get off to a struggling start

Good OP. Concern is right over CBs. Important position in this league.

Still danger we could get bullied by other teams.

Target man up front and CB might be what else is needed

The bottom line is the squad we have should be good enough to win that league fairly comfortably. But the same was true last season. However 4 mangers (2 of ours and St Mirren's and Livi's) had a huge impact in offsetting the respective quality and depth of squads. Who knows what we'll get from Shabba this season.....

We don't know if this squad is good enough yet for two reasons. We haven't seen enough of them playing together and we haven't seen the opposition yet.

I agree with most of the OP assessment tbh - but I echo the sentiments of those who think we are hamstrung by the manager.

The only points I'd disagree on are the CH's - even with Frans, who looks good for this level I'd say, the rest of the centre defence is a ****ing shocker.

I also think you have been very overly generous with the centre midfield. I rate them all (well almost all), but I don't think we can call any of them Premiership players...

Barton - played there last season but he was relegated and fans at this club couldn't wait to see the back of him. I'd rate him as a good signing for this level, largely owing to his physicality and presence. 6

Fyvie - pick of the bunch ability wise, but he is now an established Championship player with a history of long term injuries. last 8 seasons have been spent outwith the top flight - that does include 2 in the English Championship tbf - but with 0 appearances I think we can safely include them. 6

Stanton - will be his 5th consecutive season at the Championship level, 2 of those spells coming with part time teams (albeit on loan from a full time club). A player I really like, can be posted missing for spells but those runs from deep are fantastic and he can drive us forward. The Championship Graeme Shinnie? 6

Rabitsch - Early days and I hope he comes good, certainly won't be on his back from the off, but I don't think it's controversial to say he has a bit of work to do to convince the Tangerine faithful. 3/4

I'm excited by our wingers, Aird proven, King a hit or a miss but has potential to get consistency, McMullan decent back up and Loemba the exciting foreign unknown factor and a good debut (albeit against absolute ****e) so be good to see him do it against teams at our level.

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Serious question is the boy Fyvie that good?...almost everyone on here seems to think he will be your saviour once he's fit...just read a bit about him and never realised he's only started 15 games for united of which you lost 5...I remember him being decent with Hibs...just seems like a lot of expectation on somebody that really hasn't done much for your team up this point
    Fyvie is actually somewhat unknown as he’s not done it consistently yet for united. Probably a 7 or 8 at this level though.

At Hibs he seemed to do the unsung work in midfield well.

His first few games weren’t great. He played a few blinders just at point of getting injured which is why everyone has positive last memories of him

His injury (and Frasers) coincided with us shifting the bed last season.

That, and when Laszlo started making changes to the team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)