+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad at present

Squad at present

With the new season round the corner it seems like a good opportunity to asses where we are (may give us something to look back and laugh on at the end of season as well)

Goalkeepers
    Siegrist
    Rakovan
    Both seem reasonable GK's and with Alexander as a last resort I'm content with this (7)

leftbacks
    Booth
    Robson
    Haven't seen Booth play at this level but from what I have seen he is alright going forward. Seeing Robsons name on the team sheet fills me with fear on the other hand (6)

Centre backs
    Frans
    Edge
    Scobbie
    Watson
    Toshney
    Allardyce
    If it wasn't for the signing of Frans there would be some serious red flags here. (5)

Right backs
    Wardrop
    Murdoch
    Got high hopes for Wardrop and Murdoch is a solid cover (7)

CM's
    Barton
    Stanton
    Rabitsch
    Fyvie
    Still unsure about Rabitsch but the other 3 are premiership quality players that have the potential to control games (9)

Wingers
    King
    McMullen
    Loemba
    Aird
    Smith
    Now if we could keep the first 4 I would be delighted, 2 wingers on the bench could make a massive impact in games that we are struggling to break teams down. All of the above have a bit of pace it's just the final ball where questions may be asked.

Strikers
    Clark
    Curran
    Keatings
    Smith
    I don't expect keatings to stay and it's pretty much set in stone that we will be bringing in a target man. Clark will get goals, Curran will do a power of work (great impact sub if it isn't clarks day maybe?). It's a work in progress area so I'm gonna give the current batch a (7)

In the fanny I trust

No mention of Glass Mr Brightside and you forgot to mark your wingers.
    Other than that a good piece of homework.

Well spotted Smed, little mistakes when your making a long post without the boss catching you!

Wingers I'd give a (7)
    Glass will also have a great impact as a both a sub and against teams like Alloa who will have 11 men behind the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
    With the new season round the corner it seems like a good opportunity to asses where we are (may give us something to look back and laugh on at the end of season as well)

Goalkeepers
    Siegrist
    Rakovan
    Both seem reasonable GK's and with Alexander as a last resort I'm content with this (7)

leftbacks
    Booth
    Robson
    Haven't seen Booth play at this level but from what I have seen he is alright going forward. Seeing Robsons name on the team sheet fills me with fear on the other hand (6)

Centre backs
    Frans
    Edge
    Scobbie
    Watson
    Toshney
    Allardyce
    If it wasn't for the signing of Frans there would be some serious red flags here. (5)

Right backs
    Wardrop
    Murdoch
    Got high hopes for Wardrop and Murdoch is a solid cover (7)

CM's
    Barton
    Stanton
    Rabitsch
    Fyvie
    Still unsure about Rabitsch but the other 3 are premiership quality players that have the potential to control games (9)

Wingers
    King
    McMullen
    Loemba
    Aird
    Smith
    Now if we could keep the first 4 I would be delighted, 2 wingers on the bench could make a massive impact in games that we are struggling to break teams down. All of the above have a bit of pace it's just the final ball where questions may be asked.

Strikers
    Clark
    Curran
    Keatings
    Smith
    I don't expect keatings to stay and it's pretty much set in stone that we will be bringing in a target man. Clark will get goals, Curran will do a power of work (great impact sub if it isn't clarks day maybe?). It's a work in progress area so I'm gonna give the current batch a (7)

In the fanny I trust
    Really, really surprised you can give ratings that high based on the first 4 games.

From what i've seen so far, I wouldn't give pass marks to any area of the squad.

As for the manager...is it possible to give a minus rating?

Individually the team doesn't look to bad IMO, as a team I'm unsure. I believe we still need a commanding centre half and a target man

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    Really, really surprised you can give ratings that high based on the first 4 games.

From what i've seen so far, I wouldn't give pass marks to any area of the squad.

As for the manager...is it possible to give a minus rating?
    I think it's interesting to see what people think of the team going into the season then look back at it come end of the season. For example this time last season I though Harry Lewis was going to be a sensation and was very underwhelmed by the prospect of Sam Stanton...

I think we are stronger in every department apart from CB compared to start of last two seasons. Fyvie coming back will be massive if he has got over the injury fully. Keatings could be a player for us but i think he wants to leave.

Still have a few concerns about that squad which is probably driven more by concerns about the manager!

Goalkeepers by January i would add Deniz to the list as well as he should be given a few games at some level to keep his recovery going.

LB i think is our weakest area again as Robson will be got at from other teams and then the crowd! Not been impressed by Booth on first sight so will need to see more of him.

CB is where we are still carrying some chaff! Dont want Scobbie anywhere near the match day squad, or the reserves for that matter! Toshney we are stuck with by the looks of it and Murdoch and Allardice are maybe just good enough to fill in should all else be injured!

Right across the midfield i think we have a good strong bunch of players with maybe one exception, but he wont get a sniff if Barton and Fyvie keep fit.

Up front i agree with others that Smith maybe should go out on loan to get regular first team experience. I dont want to loose Keatings though as hopefully he has something to prove and to me is up there with Clark for someone who will buzz around his target man.

We still need that target man/men and would be nice if that could be concluded prior to Saturday. If we can ship out Scobbie and loan Smith, it might even free up money for another CB.

Quote Originally Posted by shedboy71 View Post
    I think we are stronger in every department apart from CB compared to start of last two seasons. Fyvie coming back will be massive if he has got over the injury fully. Keatings could be a player for us but i think he wants to leave.
    Serious question is the boy Fyvie that good?...almost everyone on here seems to think he will be your saviour once he's fit...just read a bit about him and never realised he's only started 15 games for united of which you lost 5...I remember him being decent with Hibs...just seems like a lot of expectation on somebody that really hasn't done much for your team up this point

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Serious question is the boy Fyvie that good?...almost everyone on here seems to think he will be your saviour once he's fit...just read a bit about him and never realised he's only started 15 games for united of which you lost 5...I remember him being decent with Hibs...just seems like a lot of expectation on somebody that really hasn't done much for your team up this point
    in the context of where we are yes he made a serious difference - hadnt realised he had started so few nor the 1 in 3 games lost. He is a decent player - if he can be after this injury again who knows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)