+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan's press conference

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We should without any doubt have got promoted last season.
    Maybe, but obviously we'll never know 7pts behind Wycombe? Yates going was a massive blow, the other was bad luck with the last chance to recruit and the injury to Bennett. You could say that after that he didn't use what he had left to the maximum. Or had we overperformed in the 1st half of the season anyway? But it doesn't matter now. And who knows - a losing, struggling season in L1 might have killed off the buzz AH has created.

As Slack says, Nolan has done wonders for us from the position where he started from. And this year if he can add more attacking flair and intent to his great motivation and the team spirit then we're in for a great season.

Good luck to Kevin and the boys starting out on the journey tomorrow

Durham usually knows what he's talking about and I admire him for saying the truth as he sees it regardless of the stick he gets from other fans. It's not easy going against the grain when all you get is a torrent of abuse.
    I also think he may well be right in perceiving the fact that Nolan has not recruited an out and out ball winner (although we haven't seen Oxlade-Chamberlain in action yet).
    However, it's all a matter of timing and right now everyone of Notts' fans should be roaring their support for Kevin Nolan. It matters because it is likely that Nolan, coaching staff and players often refer to this board to see what fans are thinking and feeling.
    So how about giving them at least half a dozen games, Durham?

The problem is Durham the season doesn't finish in January its where you are in May that counts, i'm sure most me included had Luton as nailed on champions at the same time but it didn't happen.

Nolan has done an incredible job here and its ridiculous for anyone to say otherwise the style of play might not be to your liking which is fair enough but remember we are league two and not many sides are good footballing teams.

I'm glad he is still here and hopefully this is the season we go up.

I must admit I share your view we could do with another CB and a ball winner but if we spoke to most fans of other teams they would all say they need a few more players.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    However, it's all a matter of timing and right now everyone of Notts' fans should be roaring their support for Kevin Nolan.
    Ahem... 'every one' please Sidders Sorry couldn't resist old chap. Such a rare opportunity.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-08-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Durham usually knows what he's talking about and I admire him for saying the truth as he sees it regardless of the stick he gets from other fans. It's not easy going against the grain when all you get is a torrent of abuse.
    I also think he may well be right in perceiving the fact that Nolan has not recruited an out and out ball winner (although we haven't seen Oxlade-Chamberlain in action yet).
    However, it's all a matter of timing and right now everyone of Notts' fans should be roaring their support for Kevin Nolan. It matters because it is likely that Nolan, coaching staff and players often refer to this board to see what fans are thinking and feeling.
    So how about giving them at least half a dozen games, Durham?
    It's an obligation to gush with blind optimism on the eve of the big kick-off, no matter what the circumstances are. You can't fault Hardy for his backing, there is good reason to be optimistic but then it's in the back of the mind that Nolan has won only 7 of his last 22 games, which goes all the way back to mid-January, so in that respect there is going to have to be a very significant improvement on what we've seen so far this calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Ahem... 'every one' please Sidders Sorry couldn't resist old chap.
    OED agrees with Sidders and everybody can use everyone.

I am on the opposite side of the spectrum to Durham in terms of optimism. Every year particularly at about this time I am absolutely convinced that this will be a special year for Notts when we will storm to promotion playing some relatively silky football at least by Div 4 standards. Durham, on the other hand, seems somewhat more pessimistic than I am at just about every juncture.

On balance he has been right more often than me in recent times. Also, usually I cannot fault his analysis of players, formations, tactics.

So I go into this season, as usual, convinced that this will be our year. But Durham is 100% correct, imho, as regards the missing midfield ball winner and the rank unsuitability of Duffy as captain, and even as a first 11 starter. I am hopeful that KN will find his way quickly; Durham is convinced that he will not. On that point we can only wait and see. But I do agree that KN did lose his way badly in the second half of last season, and so more of the same will not be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    OED agrees with Sidders and everybody can use everyone.
    The meaning is different. They are not interchangeable. This explains it well...
    https://writingexplained.org/everyon...one-difference

I acknowledge you're right, Swaley, but please don't turn into one of these pedants that goes around correcting everybody's English just for the sake of it.

I acknowledge you're right, Swaley, but please don't turn into one of these pedants that goes around correcting everybody's English just for the sake of it.
    Wouldn't dream of it your honour. I simply HAD to take the shot this time

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast