+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nolan's press conference

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Something I said in my post must have gave the game away.
    given

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Sid caught out again?

This is getting rather regular now,
    Go easy, Tricky. Remembering Aricept on a daily basis is a tough shout when you recall what you're taking it for...

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post

"This squad" lost to Barnet and Chesterfield (both relegated) plus Grimsby in the run-in......but managed to make the play-offs!......slightly bizarre end-of-season IMO

Whose fault was that, the manager? the players? the system?....I suggest it's a mix of all three....Nolo is still a new manager and learning, the playing staff have changed dramatically and "hoofball" has a time and place, hopefully not every game from now on.
    I think it's obvious we made the playoffs because of our pre-Christmas form and then sneaking the odd win or draw till May, and if we had not botched the transfer window opportunity and brought in someone with pace who could partner Forte, we might not have needed the playoffs. That is, if Nolly had seen the light earlier and had actually played Forte.

So, in my opinion, the manager was at fault for not improving a tired squad.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    given
    gave

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I noticed that towards the end of last season, he looked overweight, agitated and red in the face.

I think he mentioned somewhere that he was living away from his wife and eating a lot of junk food. Stressful job plus ****ty diet will do that to you.
    I ended up with a blood shot eye after necking a bottle of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Well thats Nolan for you..He has no idea whats going on..
    Durham you are an arrogant person. If you were that good surely you would be the Manager of England. Why don't you tell Nolan to his face or haven't you got the spine to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchEm View Post
    Durham you are an arrogant person. If you were that good surely you would be the Manager of England. Why don't you tell Nolan to his face or haven't you got the spine to do it.
    Its not for me to tell him, Im sure AH will tell if the need arises. I dont dislike him, he is actually a very nice guy, its his style of management i dont care for. I just hope that he can learn to adjust and hopefully stay with the club for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchEm View Post
    Arrogant...I'll show you arrogant. Here's a quote from Nolan's interview on Thursday "When I think he's [the referee] done something wrong why can't I shout at him and say something to him, cause I do it to my players and I will do it to him".

What Durham is doing is looking past face value, when you do that you see Nolan is far from the finished product. Yesterday he was up to his usual tricks and frankly the way he was talking to, and about, his own players wasn't great. In his interview he talks about how he wouldn't allow someone to talk down to him out of football, I wonder how he would react to someone swearing at him when he's trying to do his level best in a difficult job? At times he appears to be a spoilt brat who kicks off whenever it doesn't go his way.

As for Nolan's performance on the pitch as a manager Durham ain't wrong again. He got lucky last year (that luck ran out in the play off semi final) but the standard was dreadful and he hasn't shown me yet that he knows what to do with one of the best squads we've seen at Notts for years.

One thing for sure, this squad won't succeed playing hoofball so he's going to need to prove that he can get a team playing football. We live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    Arrogant...I'll show you arrogant. Here's a quote from Nolan's interview on Thursday "When I think he's [the referee] done something wrong why can't I shout at him and say something to him, cause I do it to my players and I will do it to him".

What Durham is doing is looking past face value, when you do that you see Nolan is far from the finished product. Yesterday he was up to his usual tricks and frankly the way he was talking to, and about, his own players wasn't great. In his interview he talks about how he wouldn't allow someone to talk down to him out of football, I wonder how he would react to someone swearing at him when he's trying to do his level best in a difficult job? At times he appears to be a spoilt brat who kicks off whenever it doesn't go his way.

As for Nolan's performance on the pitch as a manager Durham ain't wrong again. He got lucky last year (that luck ran out in the play off semi final) but the standard was dreadful and he hasn't shown me yet that he knows what to do with one of the best squads we've seen at Notts for years.

One thing for sure, this squad won't succeed playing hoofball so he's going to need to prove that he can get a team playing football. We live in hope.
    Generally speaking, I don't like to see managers rant and rave at referees, but I have to say, in 25 years watching football at all levels I've never known the standard of officiating to be so consistently poor as we've seen in the past two or three seasons in League Two. I think it would try the patience of a saint, and I wouldn't say Nolan is any worse on the touchline than various other managers.

Regarding the facts about Nolan as a manager, rather than subjective opinions, or concerns about playing style, he took over a team that was on course for National League football and led us to safety reasonably comfortably. Last season he led us to the play-offs, which again is a significant improvement. Like many, I'd like to see us start to develop a more attractive style of play this season, and I think we have signed players capable of doing it, but overall there is no question that Nolan's influence has been positive in terms of results, compared with the mess we were in when he took over. There is no logical reason for anyone to be overly critical of the manager's performance to date, especially compared with what went previously.
    Last edited by jackal2; 05-08-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't like to see managers rant and rave at referees, but I have to say, in 25 years watching football at all levels I've never known the standard of officiating to be so consistently poor as we've seen in the past two or three seasons in League Two. I think it would try the patience of a saint, and I wouldn't say Nolan is any worse on the touchline than various other managers.

Regarding the facts about Nolan as a manager, rather than subjective opinions, or concerns about playing style, he took over a team that definitely looked on course for National League football and led us to safety reasonably comfortably. Last season he led us to the play-offs, which again is a significant improvement. Like many, I'd like to see us start to develop a more attractive style of play this season, and I think we have signed players capable of doing it, but overall there is no question that Nolan's influence has been positive in terms of results, compared with the mess we were in when he took over. There is no logical reason for anyone to be overly critical of the manager's performance to date, especially compared with what went previously.
    Yea the referee quality isn't the best, can't be helped however when managers are shouting and swearing when a marginal midfield throw in decision goes the wrong way. He constantly states that they have a difficult job to do, so what does he expect them to do, develop skills overnight?

I also find it interesting that the minute he came in for some criticism he was asking why people weren't understanding what a tough job it was and how far the club had come. Seems he wants different treatment to what he dishes out.

As for results, well yes of course he has improved things but when you walk into a demotivated dressing room you will often find the players are ready for a fresh start and respond to it. I'm not trying to say he's a bad manager but at times many seem to pronounce him as a good manager and I don't believe that can be said of him either yet. This is his season to prove that.
    Last edited by pielover; 05-08-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast