+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Got their hearts broken by Burnley. Very satisfying seeing those arrogant, self righteous chumps getting done over like that. I enjoyed that tonight.

You're a hard man. They came close to pulling of a great result.

Close, but they didn't in the end. I for one take alot of satisfaction from that. Aberdeen are a club and support that I have zero time for. A more arrogant, self righteous bunch you'd struggle to encounter and to see them deflated like that is very satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Close, but they didn't in the end. I for one take alot of satisfaction from that. Aberdeen are a club and support that I have zero time for. A more arrogant, self righteous bunch you'd struggle to encounter and to see them deflated like that is very satisfying.
    I always find it amusing that while some Motherwell fans constantly moan about us talking ourselves down and having too low expectations, others have an intense hatred for those who talk themselves up and expect results. The lot of a middling club, I guess. Dundee United got the same treatment on here before their implosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I always find it amusing that while some Motherwell fans constantly moan about us talking ourselves down and having too low expectations, others have an intense hatred for those who talk themselves up and expect results. The lot of a middling club, I guess. Dundee United got the same treatment on here before their implosion.
    That's a fair point and indeed I fall into both categories. I cannot stand the insistence of some Motherwell fans who basically want to paint us as this tinpot little outfit punching way above our weight and believe it is an attitude that holds us back as a club. Why not adapt our expectations to those of an established top flight club which we have been for over thirty years?

By the same token you've got Aberdeen who do the opposite and believe they have a devine right to be better than clubs like ours because they were successful in the 1980s. Dundee United do this to, albeit to a slightly lesser extent. Now, there's nothing wrong with confidence and self belief, indeed I wish some of our fans would show a bit more, but there's a difference between that and just blind, unbridled arrogance and those two clubs fall the wrong side of that line for me.

In Aberdeen's case, they are second only Celtic imo for arrogance and self entitlement and their supporters, by and large are obnoxious, horrible people. Not all I might add, I've encountered some decent ones, but as a Motherwell fan I've found them extremely insufferable with their attitude and outlook not to mention some of the bile I've heard their fans chanting in and around Fir Park regarding Davie Cooper and Phil O'Donnell. Then of course they had their large casual element who frequently wreaked havoc whenever they visited although that has died down a bit. And then there's Radio Scotland sportsound which is supposed to be an impartial, national football show but it's basically an Aberdeen FC fanzine with no attempt whatsoever at hiding it.

I've no time for them whatsoever and always enjoy seeing them beaten. The likes of Hearts and Hibs have that 'bit ciry' arrogance towards us too, not to mention their chip on their shoulders about anyone living west of Harthill, but neither of them get up my nose as much as Aberdeen or Dundee Utd do.

I think it's a very individual, subjective thing...one person's self-confidence is always another's arrogance.

As for us, I see no reason why we shouldn't be better than other clubs our size and at the same time they will see no reason why they shouldn't be better than us. Sometimes we will finish ahead of them, sometimes they will finish ahead of us, such is the cyclical nature of provincial teams. But over the (very) long haul we, along with Kilmarnock, have been by far the best of that bunch.

Taking on the city clubs is a different thing though and that's where I suspect differences emerge. I would never settle for being worse than the Edinburgh duo and Aberdeen but given the difference in our respective resources, I'm certainly not going to get too angry or upset when we are.

TBH guys, I couldn't give a flying fekk about Aberdeen, Dundee Utd et al. As they say on TalkSport ... 'what a waste of ink'

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)