+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to stand up to UEFA

Time to stand up to UEFA

Im not just saying this on the back of last nights defeat, i would be saying it if it was Burnley who got put out, but all clubs and governing bodies need to stand up to UEFA and demand that seedings get reviewed. We were far too good to go out in a second qualifying round and when you consider one of the other ties was Lincoln Red Imps vs New Saints, you know that its a completely f*cked up system.

How we were unseeded is beyond me, and that tie had a latter stages feel to it last night, not a second qualifying round tie. It seems to me that each year it gets harder and harder to qualify and I know thats the way the beaks want it, but its at teams like ours expense. Time for a complete overhaul.

Agree completely but if they are going to review how it works they need to start with stopping the champions league drop out sh*te. Get that to f*ck and go from there.

Totally agree. It would be nice if the club very publicly told UEFA to ram it next year.

Wont happen as the "big" teams have done it. Hence the automatic four CL qualifiers.

We need a NFL break away of Barcelona, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich etc before Euro football is worthwhile for a "diddy team" like Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    Im not just saying this on the back of last nights defeat, i would be saying it if it was Burnley who got put out, but all clubs and governing bodies need to stand up to UEFA and demand that seedings get reviewed. We were far too good to go out in a second qualifying round and when you consider one of the other ties was Lincoln Red Imps vs New Saints, you know that its a completely f*cked up system.

How we were unseeded is beyond me, and that tie had a latter stages feel to it last night, not a second qualifying round tie. It seems to me that each year it gets harder and harder to qualify and I know thats the way the beaks want it, but its at teams like ours expense. Time for a complete overhaul.
    It would be much fairer for everyone who was involved in the tournament that any draw made was just a straight draw with no seedings whatsoever. Good luck getting the corrupt football authorities to change that.

Completely agree that it keeps getting harder.

For those interested here is a summary of how the UEFA Cup has changed since it was merged with the Cup Winners Cup back in 1999/2000 (UEFA have changed it five times since 1999 each time making it harder for teams like us)

1999/00 - 2003/04
    Teams in Competition - 118
    Format of Competition - 8 rounds of straight knockout with all teams starting in first two rounds
    Teams dropping down from Champions League pre CL Group stages - 16
    Won't repeat it but under every format 8 third placed CL Group teams drop into last 32

2004/05 - 2008/09
    Teams in Competition - 121-133
    Format of Competition - 3 rounds then 40 in Group stages then 5 rounds
    Teams dropping down from Champions League pre CL Group stages - 16
    Available places in Group stages to teams like Aberdeen - 40/40

2009/10 - 2011/13
    Teams in Competition - 157-160 (big increase from prior years due to intertoto cup merged in)
    Format of Competition - 4 rounds then 48 in Group stages then 5 rounds
    Teams dropping down from Champions League pre CL Group stages - 15
    Teams straight in Group stages without having to play any qualifiers - 1
    Teams straight in Group stages dropping down from CL - 10
    Available places in Group stages to teams like Aberdeen - 37/48

20012/13 - 2014/15
    Teams in Competition - 160-164
    Teams straight in Group stages without having to play any qualifiers - 7
    Available places in Group stages to teams like Aberdeen - 31/48

20015/16 - 2017/18
    Teams in Competition - 155-158
    Teams straight in Group stages without having to play any qualifiers - 16
    Available places in Group stages to teams like Aberdeen - 22/48

20018/19 -
    Teams in Competition - 157
    Format of Competition - 5 rounds then 48 in Group stages then 5 rounds
    Teams dropping down from CL pre CL Group stages - 2 (other 54 losers in early CL rounds play each other in own mini competition)
    Teams straight in Group stages without having to play any qualifiers - 17
    Teams in Group stages from CL mini competition - 8
    Available places in Group stages to teams like Aberdeen - 13/48

I know there is a lot of information above but key conclusions from me is (1) from being 40/40 Group places available to teams like Aberdeen coming through EL qualifiers it is now a miserly 13/48 and (2) from a maximum of 3 qualifying rounds to a maximum of 5 qualifying rounds to get to Group stages

As I have said before fcuk UEFA and all who sail in her

Vaduz played Vilnius

TNS played Lincoln Red Imps

Viking played Viking Tupasi

Dundelage played Drita

Valur played Santa Coma

Its not made for us.

Time to stand up to EUFA

For my sins, not only am I an avid Dons fan but also an avid Dumbarton fan. Last year, unfortunately the Sons were relegated to Division 1. Somewhat ironic as they had a run to the final of the Betfried Cup. In the semi-final, the mighty Dumbarton, away from home beat The New Saints 1-0. Was I elated!!!

However, this gives an indication of the strength
    of The New Saints and with all due respect, The Sons are not a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Vaduz played Vilnius

Dundelage played Drita

Valur played Santa Coma

Its not made for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Vaduz played Vilnius

Dundelage played Drita

Valur played Santa Coma

Its not made for us.
    Completely agree that it's even more biased towards Champions League teams. Every team gets a doggy's life. These are 10 teams who have already lost in CL and now getting a second chance in EL. They need to win this round plus two others against future CL losers to make Group stages

Quote Originally Posted by charliecooke View Post
    For my sins, not only am I an avid Dons fan but also an avid Dumbarton fan. Last year, unfortunately the Sons were relegated to Division 1. Somewhat ironic as they had a run to the final of the Betfried Cup. In the semi-final, the mighty Dumbarton, away from home beat The New Saints 1-0. Was I elated!!!

However, this gives an indication of the strength
    of The New Saints and with all due respect, The Sons are not a great team.
    2-1 was it not? Froxy free kick was immense

Quite a few Sons of the Rock support Aberdeen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast