+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs Colchester United 04.08.18

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Bloody hell, Dennis over the bar from 5 yards.
    Should be putting that in... lucky escape with their chance that hit the bar... big 10 minutes left

4 players booked now

Att 7136

Described as a 'damp squib' on the radio, that sums it up for me, I think we're going to struggle to live up to the pre season hype based on this and what we saw in pre season.

Disappointing start to the season but at least it's a point, on to Tuesday now

That was very disappointing, but not very surprising given the pre-season.

Colchester were very hard to break down and physical - typical League 2 team. They hit the bar and we got away with a couple of dodgy moments at the back, where we seemed lightweight by comparison to them. Fits also got away with some hesitant keeping.

We really struggled going forward - other than the Dennis miss from a few yards out and Nathan Thomas’ lob that needed a good save, we created nothing. One-paced throughout and very few forward passes from the midfield, making it comfortable for Colchester. Enzio had one good run but was otherwise anonymous and struggled to even control the ball (are we sure he’s Dutch?).

Positives? A clean sheet and one more point than at this stage last season. Also, the plus-7,000 crowd, who seemed pretty patient given the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Views from the Mexican Altiplano..........Superb new iFollow....commentary from Charlie and Stall, plus huge black numbers on the Notts shirts.....an absolute pleasure

Tactical first half......Colchester look pretty good going forward in the first 20 minutes, Notts looked good in the last 20 minutes.

Fitz looks solid at the back and rolling the ball out to Jones....our defense ok, but Jones is spending more time attacking than defending which makes me nervous....plus he's been booked.

Vaughan is absolute class in midfield......Enzio is my MOM, he is a livewire with bags of tricks....takes on his man every time and has had two good efforts on goal.

The other winger, Thomas looks like a class act continually swapping wings with Enzio........Hemmings hasn't had a chance yet....Stead is trying his normal hardest but with no real effect.

Summary....solid-ish at the back.....Vaughan and Hewey look decent together......Stead and Hemmings zero chances.......our wingers look like our best chance of winning this
    Maybe I am watching with rose-coloured spectacles, but it wasn't quite as bad as it sounded on the radio.

Colchester could've won it, but so could we if Dennis had connected properly with Enzio's cross or Thomas's clever lob had gone in......0-0 was about right in my book.

Good points - Vaughan was superb alongside Hewey....a class act
    Enzio was absolutely terrific, a fans favourite in the making
    Thomas on the other wing looked like a step up from Hawk and Aless....almost scored
    Fitz looked confident in goal, came out well for crosses and raced out to nick the ball off their player when he was clear on goal....rolled the ball out at least 6 or 7 times

Bad points - Hemmings never saw the ball, Stead tried hard but to no effect
    Jones spent more time attacking than defending....makes me nervous.

Overall a point in the bag, one better than this point last year....scrappy nervous game....serious gelification needed.

Noble scores for Hartlepool giving them a point.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Disappointing start to the season but at least it's a point, on to Tuesday now
    Who are we playing on Tuesday?

First opening day goalless draw since Gudjon Thordarsson's first game in charge in August 2005.

30 years ago in August 1988, after missing out in the play off semi-finals under Barnwell the previous season, we also opened with a home 0-0.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast