+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What did I just watch?

But we have started faster than last season Jackal. 1 point better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    But we have started faster than last season Jackal. 1 point better off.
    After one game it's true!

Who would have thought after losing 0-3 to Coventry on the opening day last season that we would go on to have such good results over the next three months? I suppose it just goes to show you can't read too much, if anything, into opening day performances and results.

We'll have a clearer idea by mid-October of whether we're on course or need to improve, but either way I wouldn't panic as long as we're in the top half of the table. If this squad is as strong as we think it is, the benefits will show after Christmas when other teams hit the wall, as we did to a degree last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    It's long been a pet hate of mine EP & I must admit that my new seat in the Pavis does not bode well! according to those around me, Duffy was "Effin useless" even before KO, Vaughan was much to negative & should "Eff off back across the river", Hemming was a wasted of space "but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" & Mr Hardy may as well Eff off now if he isn't prepared to spend "real money", I know it's a game of opinions & keep reminding myself that everyone entitles to theirs "however Effin stupid they are".
    Me too.

I'm convinced (although other have tried to tell me it's not true) that there are some who desperately want certain players to make mistakes etc so they can say 'Told you so'.

Heard people around me saying 'Gerrim off' after 30 seconds for minor mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Me too.

I'm convinced (although other have tried to tell me it's not true) that there are some who desperately want certain players to make mistakes etc so they can say 'Told you so'.

Heard people around me saying 'Gerrim off' after 30 seconds for minor mistakes.
    The same people would moan like hell if they were subject to the same exacting standards and lack of tolerance in their own jobs. Mind you, footballers get very well paid for what they do, so they don't need too much sympathy.

The only time the crowd reaction does concern me is when it's so strong and targeted as to visibly damage a particular player's confidence, because it's not in anyone's interests to destroy one of your own team, even if they are struggling. Sometimes you get an unreasonably negative narrative building up around a certain player, based more on perception than reality, which is when such criticism can become counter-productive.

I sense the very early stages of such a narrative around Ross Fitzsimons at the moment, because some people expected Adam Collin to be directly replaced and Ross made a couple of errors in pre-season. Some are focusing on the one kicking error he made yesterday, even though he recovered the situation and ultimately kept a clean sheet. He looked a bit nervous in his first couple of games last season, but then played very well and would have had a strong argument to keep Collin out of the side if he hadn't kicked a player up the a*se. I hope and believe Ross will do well for us and will grow into the role of No.1, so long as fans show him a bit of patience and give him a chance. The Kop seemed to get behind him yesterday, which is good.
    Last edited by jackal2; 05-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    I have said for some time that I am pleased with the new additions to the squad but my concerns centre on Nolan's tactical awareness. I'm not convinced that it is the players' ability to gel that requires time but Nolan's persistence with a particular game plan which stifles the freedom and creativity out of the team resulting in a dour, fragmented and tedious performance. I wondered whether this actually was a new season or whether I had been cruelly transported back in time to relive some of the worst bits of last season. I hope Mr. Nolan can prove me wrong but today only reinforced my opinion.
    He can't put together a attacking team

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Out of interest, are you durhampie's twin brother or do you just happen to share the same raincloud?

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Only three teams in League 2 scored more goals than Notts County (71) last season and they just happen to be the three teams that were promoted automatically - Accrington (76), Luton (94) and Wycombe (79). Even the mighty Coventry, despite their Barcelona esque ***y football, did not manage as many goals as us so you seem to be talking absolute cr*p...

If you would like to rephrase that as "He can't put together a passing team" then go ahead, I'd still disagree though as he seems to at least be trying to do that with his signings last January and this summer, that much is fairly clear to see and we've so far seen this seasons team in one competitive match.

He might be able to put a passing team together but he needs to able to coach them to pass the ball? Richard Thomas never gets a mention, he's the first team coach, does he have any input? No point in have Vaughan in the team if the ball is banged over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    He might be able to put a passing team together but he needs to able to coach them to pass the ball? Richard Thomas never gets a mention, he's the first team coach, does he have any input? No point in have Vaughan in the team if the ball is banged over his head.
    Vaughan saw plenty of the ball on Saturday, he probably had the most touches. The trouble was his main passing options were defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    Vaughan saw plenty of the ball on Saturday, he probably had the most touches. The trouble was his main passing options were defenders.
    A strikers anticipation of a pass and finding space to receive the ball should come naturally. It's the midfielder's job to watch the attacker's movement. Enzio often had two or three markers on Saturday, Colchester's defenders were not as quick as our frontmen - so why were the forwards not finding space? The coaching this week should start with a good kick up the jacksie.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast