+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What did I just watch?

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    I have said for some time that I am pleased with the new additions to the squad but my concerns centre on Nolan's tactical awareness. I'm not convinced that it is the players' ability to gel that requires time but Nolan's persistence with a particular game plan which stifles the freedom and creativity out of the team resulting in a dour, fragmented and tedious performance. I wondered whether this actually was a new season or whether I had been cruelly transported back in time to relive some of the worst bits of last season. I hope Mr. Nolan can prove me wrong but today only reinforced my opinion.
    Like i have said many times, he is a one trick pony...Saving us from relegation is in the past, we were riding on the crest of a wave with Hardy taking over, players were once again being paid and the rest is history.. This season will be very different, Nolan now has better players to work with and all the euphoria and momentum of the past is now forgotten.. This season will determin exactly how good or bad he really his.. I know what that outcome will be....

Ummmm, was so excited pre-season with all the great signings.Im hoping just early days but today did not live up to expectations.they were pondorous, lacking creativity, no real game plan, and nomcutting edge.we spend all our times laughing on here about Mansfield yet. They make a fabulous start.perhaps before throwing stones we should moved out of the glass house?come on Mr Nolan let's be seeing something to cheer about please

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Well that's two of you saying Enzio was poor....mmmmmm....by my reckoning he had 2 shots at goal in the first half and laid one on a plate for Dennis 2nd half....what else is a winger supposed to do?....plus he took on his man pretty much every time (unless there was another black Dutch guy on the pitch) which is more than Hawk ever did.

Baffled.
    He looks like the sort of player that will either play great or rubbish. He definitely has pace, but not much nous or ability on the ball. I'm hoping the direct pace alone will be enough to get him the goals and assists he's brought in to get.

I thought Thomas looked a much better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Time will tell on that one. There was no obvious game plan today, we didn't use the width and got very few decent crosses in. Far too much sideways and backwards passing, but the players also have to take their share of the blame. Too many simple passes going astray, too many poor first touches and no quality on the crosses or set pieces. Thomas took all the corners without creating any danger, based on last season Jones would be a much better option for corners on our right.
    I agree with this and Jackal above, we were definitely trying to play the ball more on the deck (Vaughan getting MOM and Fitz rolling it out to Jones 5 or 6 times) but too many simple passes went astray and we seemed to pass it back too often instead of getting in some decent crosses (twice Jones went on run down the wing, stopped and passed it back to Duffy or Bris, why?).....Stall also made the comment that we seemed unsure of a game-plan ie drive forward or hold possession, in that respect I agree with Navy and NW6, that these things should have been addressed on the training ground.

Early days and I'm reasonably happy with a point and a glimpse of better things to come.

As Charlie slater said
    We are one point better off than last season

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    We needed a lot more competitive pre season games, about 3 more. All this gelling could be done then.

For those slating Enzio, perhaps a trip to Specsavers? First half he blasted past the full back putting in a cross, had a few shots and was lovely. Second half put in a beauty of a cross but can't do anything if all Tootle wants to do is pass to Hewitt rather than put it in behind for him.

As for Hewitt, did he actually do anything today? Seriously need another centre Midfielder to go in with Vaughan, Hewitt is not the answer.

Stead offered no movement and as for the keeper, bring back Collin. I thought Fitzsimons was this super star who had great kicking and started attacks off quickly? No sign of that today, especially when we had two quick wingers in space and he just held on allowing them to settle.
    For those thinking we had 2 quick wingers today and Enzio looks any better than Mark Yates need to go to Specsavers . For those thinking Hewitt wasn't one of our better performers today ( wasn't hard) might need more than one visit.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    For those thinking we had 2 quick wingers today and Enzio looks any better than Mark Yates need to go to Specsavers . For those thinking Hewitt wasn't one of our better performers today ( wasn't hard) might need more than one visit.
    So Enzio blasting past several players isn't pace and power? Also Navy, tell me one telling contribution that Hewitt did. Do explain, love to hear it because all I saw him do was lose midfield battles against their number 8, get booked and be anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Like i have said many times, he is a one trick pony...Saving us from relegation is in the past, we were riding on the crest of a wave with Hardy taking over, players were once again being paid and the rest is history.. This season will be very different, Nolan now has better players to work with and all the euphoria and momentum of the past is now forgotten.. This season will determin exactly how good or bad he really his.. I know what that outcome will be....
    No durham , you don't know and neither do any of us . I'm starting to think you want him to fail so you can tell us all you were right . Piss poor attitude in my opinion for someone who follows our great club up and down the land.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Exactly. The 'need time to gel' thing is a rubbish excuse. If you have good players and a system that plays to their strengths, you'll do well.

Remember when we beat Bradford 5-0 on the opening day, with all goals coming from debutantes? That team didn't need time to gel.
    Sorry but last time i checked it wasn't until Steve Cotterill was appointed that, the munto squad actually played well for a consistent period, and began to dominate the league which wasn't until Feb/March. Quite frankly the fact you've compared this squad, with that one is mind boggling. However seeing as you have lets go with it, i'll tell you right now this squad comes no where near that squad. The team we had in that season is on paper most likely, the best team to have ever been put together at League 2 level. If you think that this team is capable of doing what they did, i suggest you wake up very quickly. We drew for crying out loud, if this is the reaction for a draw i dread to think, what it will be like when we lose. Yes in an ideal world we would have smashed Colchester today, but Football isn't that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    So Enzio blasting past several players isn't pace and power? Also Navy, tell me one telling contribution that Hewitt did. Do explain, love to hear it because all I saw him do was lose midfield battles against their number 8, get booked and be anonymous
    It's all about opinions Balti , I thought Enzio ( and unless he farted ) I didn't see any " blasting " was useless. I thought Elliot, who wasn't great by any means was one of our better performers . Lets face it mate , Hewitt could have a stormer and you would criticize his new haircut .

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast