+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That was more than a ‘wake up call’

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    I find it interesting Bartley seems to be taking a lot of the blame for Saturday's poor defensive performance but if you watch both goals they are down to Hegazi the first one he allows the striker a free header, the 2nd one he gets beaten in the air on the edge of the area not to mention the 2 free headers he failed to score with at the other end, last season Hegazi's mistakes cost us a number of goals and dropped points yet people seem to rate him personally i would sell him.
    Bartley is one player from what was a very shaky defensive unit, they all need to up their game. Most of the comments re Bartley are in reference to his general game which was largely inconsistent, as opposed to direct blame for the goals.

You're quite right when you mention Hegazi and his involvement/or lack of. However, if you watch the first Bolton goal back you'll see Bartley is absolutely miles out of position and trying to do Gibbs's job for him rather than concentrating on his own. Hegazi was caught in no mans land and should have done better. But Bartley was very much a part of what went wrong on the whole. There were times when he demonstrated composure. But on too many occasions he charged round like a bull in a china shop, flapped like a tart and blamed others when he should have been addressing his own shortcomings.

I'm not going to rip him apart for that especially as he's the new kid on the block, but it's a worry given his previously highlighted tendency to ball watch. I think he'd be better served concentrating on his own game for now before trying to marshal others. He's actually taking too much on at this moment in time. As for Hegazi his mind was clearly elsewhere and he really should have scored from at least one of his chances.

Keep it simple, concentrate, get to know your team mates. Hopefully they settle down but the chemistry between the back four and the goalie looked poor. If it doesn't improve and quickly then we'll be in for a very long season. Over to you Mr Bartley, Hegazi, Johnstone, Nyom and Gibbs - that's if you're all still here come the end of the transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Welcome to the Championship lads, I ain't gloating either - this could be the best thing that happened as you've 45 games to go, the good thing about this league is that the next game is usually not far away.

All the best for the season - except when you play us.
    Good morning WCV, cheers for the welcome but as supporters we're quite well acquainted with this division.

The problem is that some of our players aren't.

Well done on knocking over Hull, something we should have done to Bolton.

I'd wish you all of the best for a good season except for when we play you but it would be a blatant lie on my part.

SOTV chap .

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    I find it interesting Bartley seems to be taking a lot of the blame for Saturday's poor defensive performance but if you watch both goals they are down to Hegazi the first one he allows the striker a free header, the 2nd one he gets beaten in the air on the edge of the area not to mention the 2 free headers he failed to score with at the other end, last season Hegazi's mistakes cost us a number of goals and dropped points yet people seem to rate him personally i would sell him.
    Bartley could have done more to stop the cross for the first goal. But yes, Hegazi got caught positionally on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)